News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Managing and deleting inactive users with invalid address

Started by Ricky., May 20, 2020, 03:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky.

Hi,

I did a search around, there have been discussion about it.
Here is the case, say there are many thousands of members with invalid email address and they never made a single post and probably will never come. Is there we have any provision where we can automatically mark such account and then delete them after quick manual review ?

It has been real pain as if there is newsletter sent out, it hurts IP reputation as an MTA. Is there any mode or something available for it ?

radu81

That's not a solution, what OP is asking is handling the bounce emails in SMF which is not possible. Other forum scripts are handling bounce emails in the core by setting members to different membergroups or setting them as bounced/inactive members so they won't receive any mail until they change their email address. Also many newsletter scripts are acting this way.

I also have the same problem in SMF, I send my emails through Amazon SES, and if a mail is bounced I get noticed by email, so manually I can delete or decide what to do with that member. I usually send a couple of newsletters/year and every time I do it I have to spent some time by checking the mails and delete members. If you have a lot of members that will require a lot of time.

If somebody have other or better solutions let me know, I'm also interested.
sorry for my bad english

rhnegativeforum

Crap, I was tired of the spam filter not reaching acivateable new members, so I accepted a load of them. I know I will have to do this now at a later point.  :o
I'm here because my forum is the only part of my site I am not proud of. I am here to fix that. Take a look if you have time to give me some advice and if you do, do so here.

SpacePhoenix

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1078251/delivery-reports-and-read-receipts-in-php-mail

You could perhaps create a mod based around that and possibly at the same time (maybe in the same mod) have it reject any emails used from "throw-away email providers" (it would need a list to be maintained)

Ricky.

I may work on it to create a mod but currently busy with my primary work projects.
There are many ways to achieve this, can be done SMF too by parsing bounced mails. I am looking for more ideas here.

vbgamer45

What i do on createaforum and my SMF sites. I parse the email logs from my mail servers SMTP logs
Then I change the members email address to .bad on the end of email in the forum.
I added to the sendmail function in sources/subs.php this code

if (substr($to, -4) == '.bad')
return false;

If you are sending though Amazon SES you can setup an SNS topic and have postback to your site for processing.
For that I include full headers so I can see what is going on. I use the SNS php API to the basic handling for that part.

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Ricky.

Alright, that's with Amazon SES and SNS, what for more generic SMF setup, using smpt or simply sendmail (php), any views ?

vbgamer45

You would need to parse the SMTP logs and do the process above that is what I do.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: