News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Re: Copying Themes

Started by jitspoe, May 01, 2020, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jitspoe

I'm also having this problem.  Using 2.0.17.  I just tried to copy the default theme from Themes and Layout | Modify Themes, and it says my session has timed out.  Hardly any mods (just a spoiler mod and a modified spam-me-not).  Mostly just vanilla, though I did upgrade from 1.x.

Split from two year old topic (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=561495.0).  Please avoid reviving old support topics in future - Iris.

Kindred

well, you can copy the default theme from the Manage and Install screen....

However, you are correct -- the option: Copy a template from the theme this is based on. does generate a timeout report (instantly)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rick33

Quote from: Kindred on May 01, 2020, 08:55:10 AM
However, you are correct -- the option: Copy a template from the theme this is based on. does generate a timeout report (instantly)

Same problem here.
With ver 2.0.17, NO mods/modifications.
Default theme is Curve. UTF-8, php 7.2.

"Installed a New Theme", "Create a copy of Default named": myTest
OK!

"Modify Themes" (myTest)
click on "Copy a template from the theme this is based on."
instantly shows:
"An Error Has Occurred!
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again."

Workaround: copy template file with ftp (from /Themes/default/ to /Themes/myTest/.

StarredSkies

Even as a non-vanilla and long time user of two years, I still get this timeout error. Unfortunate to hear that it's just generates a timeout instantly, so you're going to need to upload directly a copy of your current theme instead of copying (can download from your server files if you've have any modifications/additions).

Deaks

jitspoe as the OP are you still having this issue?  have you ran a maintenance check?  also what does your logs say?

As you have not responded in a month im marking this as solved if you stil;l have this issue please answer the questions and also let us know of anything you have tried.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

ChuckWheat

Quote from: Kindred on May 01, 2020, 08:55:10 AM
well, you can copy the default theme from the Manage and Install screen....

I have the same issue...wanted to preserve the default NightBreeze theme, so we could regress if necessary...and build out based on a clone of the theme.

Unfortunately, when I tried this workaround the system clones the original theme, not the NightBreeze theme.

Any new suggestions on how we can do this, without having to go through an ftp solution?  I'd think if an option is offered, it should work...?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can fix this, or offer a different approach...

Kindred

at this time, no... only by copying the minimum files/directories  via file manager or ftp.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ChuckWheat

Quote from: Kindred on February 19, 2021, 07:26:56 PM
at this time, no... only by copying the minimum files/directories  via file manager or ftp.
Thanks Kindred...I was afraid that might be the case.

Can the theme I duplicated above also be removed through my host's file manager (or any other way) without causing SMF some sort of error?  Or will the database sense the difference (like it appears it will if I add copies, using Kindred's process), and just keep operating gracefully?

Kindred

so, if you delete a theme in SMF's theme manager, it does NOT delete the directory.

You will have to manually delete that...   If you never added it into the theme manager, then the directory being there or deleted has no effect
Слaва
Украинi

ChuckWheat

Quote from: Kindred on February 21, 2021, 12:38:48 AM
so, if you delete a theme in SMF's theme manager, it does NOT delete the directory.

You will have to manually delete that...   If you never added it into the theme manager, then the directory being there or deleted has no effect
I believe I may have misstated my question, although your response spawned a new one.

Background: I use my hosting company's file manager to manage my site's file/directories.  I used the theme manager to duplicate the default theme, which I thought was set to NightBreeze; it cloned the SMF default theme instead. So as it sits, I have all the themes that come out of the box, plus NightBreeze...and now, a clone of the default theme that is named "NightBreeze - New", which was added to the theme manager. 

I am backing up everything immediately before taking any actions, and I'm wanting to remove the old theme to keep the server-side of our site as clean as possible...as long as it won't create problems.  Otherwise, I agree abandoning it in place probably won't hurt anything.

What I want to do:  I want to remove the "NightBreeze - New" theme, and find a way to clone "NightBreeze" as a place to do all my intended mods, and eventually set as our production theme.

My questions

1) I checked the "Administration Center --> Themes and Layout" (and other logical areas I could find related to themes), and I cannot find a way within SMF to delete the "NightBreeze - New" theme; is that option tucked in somewhere else?  Is it a bad approach to try to delete "NightBreeze - New" using my hosting company's file manager, and hoping I won't cause problems in the database?

2) Can I create a "NightBreeze" theme clone by copying, pasting, and renaming a new "NightBreeze" directory, perhaps updating the theme folder "index.php" file to reflect the removal and addition...or would this potentially mess up my database? Or do I make my directory changes in File Manager, and use the "Reset Theme URLs and Directories" function to update the database with the new changes?

Or is there a safer, more conventional way to accomplish either (or both) goals within the SMF website Admin tools? I believe the answer here is "no" based on previous responses, but restating it just in case this expanded version of my question changes the way you'd approach a fix. 

And my apologies for the length of this post.

Steve

Is there a problem with using ftp? What you want to do is pretty simple that way.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Antechinus

You want Admin > Theme Settings to delete a theme. You'll see them all listed, with a red X delete icon at the right side of each theme's header bar.
Note that this will leave the "NightBreeze - New" directory on your server.

To get a second copy of the real NightBreeze:

1/ Extract the original theme zip to a new folder on desktop (call it anything you like).
2/ Open the theme_info.xml in a code editor.
3/ Change the ID on line 4 and the name on line 7.
4/ Save file.
5/ In the languages directory, open Settings.english.php in your editor (this is optional).
6/ Change the text there if you want to make it clearer which Nightbreeze is which.
7/ Save file.
8/ Select all files and folders in the root folder.
9/ Zip the lot. Note that you cannot just select the entire folder one level up. You have to have the files and folder (ie: languages, scripts, etc) directly inside the resulting zip.
10/ Name the zip anything you like. It can now be installed like any other theme.

ChuckWheat

Quote from: Antechinus on February 21, 2021, 06:05:44 PM
You want Admin > Theme Settings to delete a theme. You'll see them all listed, with a red X delete icon at the right side of each theme's header bar.
Note that this will leave the "NightBreeze - New" directory on your server.

To get a second copy of the real NightBreeze:

1/ Extract the original theme zip to a new folder on desktop (call it anything you like).
2/ Open the theme_info.xml in a code editor.
3/ Change the ID on line 4 and the name on line 7.
4/ Save file.
5/ In the languages directory, open Settings.english.php in your editor (this is optional).
6/ Change the text there if you want to make it clearer which Nightbreeze is which.
7/ Save file.
8/ Select all files and folders in the root folder.
9/ Zip the lot. Note that you cannot just select the entire folder one level up. You have to have the files and folder (ie: languages, scripts, etc) directly inside the resulting zip.
10/ Name the zip anything you like. It can now be installed like any other theme.

Quote from: Steve on February 21, 2021, 06:05:17 PM
Is there a problem with using ftp? What you want to do is pretty simple that way.
Hey Steve, the biggest challenge is probably in my head...overly cautious until I learn the right way to do things.

I think I can delete the "NightBreeze - New" theme files and directories safely.  The thing I want to guard against is having the database throwing errors/freezing/etc. because it detects "something is missing"...and I believe Antechinus has helped me find the red "X" to delete that obsolete theme now (thank you!).   

Based on what I can see in DreamHost's File Manager options, I can delete files/directories, but I'm thinking that's the cart behind the "get SMF updated first" horse.

I also like the elegance of Antechinus' second copy idea, and will be trying that once I get the "NightBreeze - New" theme deleted.  I'll give an update when done, thank you both.

ChuckWheat

OK, thanks to your help all my goals have been met...old theme deleted, new copy successfully installed. 

I appreciate your time and advice.

Advertisement: