News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unable To Create A Topic

Started by Yomiexzy, May 22, 2020, 02:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yomiexzy

Hello.

I am unable to post on my website after upgrading the SMF version. I keep getting this message: "The following error or errors occurred while posting this message: The message body was left empty."

I have attached a screenshot.

Arantor

What content was in the post?

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2020, 03:02:44 AM
What content was in the post?

A story about Anthony Joshua. I have been encountering this same issue posting in other sections for three weeks.

Arantor

Yes, but what? Did it include pictures, embedded videos?

Did you write it in Word and copy it into SMF? (Especially, if you did this, did you begin with a quote mark or an apostrophe?)

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2020, 03:29:33 AM
Yes, but what? Did it include pictures, embedded videos?

Did you write it in Word and copy it into SMF? (Especially, if you did this, did you begin with a quote mark or an apostrophe?)

None of that, Arantor. I posted the content directly as I used to. This problem started when my IT guy upgraded to SMF version 2.0.1.7. I was told it was a bug that came with the upgrade that is responsible for this issue. So, I'm clueless as to how to fix it.

Arantor

Yes, but what content? It actually matters so that I can help you fix this.

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2020, 04:17:43 AM
Yes, but what content? It actually matters so that I can help you fix this.

Okay. Here is an excerpt of what I want to post:

"IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has no problem with Mike Tyson making his rung return.

Tyson, 53-years-old and retired since 2005, has been teasing a potential ring return - with the idea of taking part in exhibition bouts to raise money for charity.

The former undisputed heavyweight champion released several viral video clips in recent weeks, with the retired boxer showcasing his speed, power and physical form."

P.S: My challenge is, regardless of what content I post in the message body, it keeps telling me it is empty.

Kindred

You are pasting from word or another browser, aren't you?

Try adding ANY character before the paste
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Kindred on May 22, 2020, 09:39:30 PM
You are pasting from word or another browser, aren't you?

Try adding ANY character before the paste

Oh, no, Kindred. I'm pasting from same browser as I used to. The only thing that changed is that I upgraded to version 2.0.1.7. Ever since I have been unable to post.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yomiexzy

I did that Kindred. The problem still persists.

Yomiexzy

Apologies if my complaints are much. Just that I have been unable to post on my website for over a month now. Would appreciate any kind of assistance to help me resolve this issue.

Kindred

Sorry.
PM me your url and a test user account please?
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

You know it is really rude to pm and email people to get further help with your issue especially when I have not even offered you any assistance with your issue.

Yomiexzy

Hi, Ilori. Sincere apologies for the intrusion. It was my desperation that caused it.

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Kindred on June 11, 2020, 07:18:00 AM
Sorry.
PM me your url and a test user account please?

Thanks, Kindred. Will sure do that.

Kindred

ok...

well, you've got a lot of problems going on here.

first: at the top of your screen, I see
text/x-generic Post.php~ ( PHP script, ASCII text, with very long lines )
the biggest question is WHY is the script attempting to call Post.php~ -- that's a backup file, not a file that should be called by any part of SMF.

second:

TypeError: this.opt.oBBCBox is nulleditor.js:577:2
    updateEditorControls ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:577
    init ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:390
    smc_Editor ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:150
    <anonymous> ..../index.php/board,74/action,post2.html:420

This means that the post editor is broken -- that's why you only see smilies and do not see the other post edit buttons like  bold, italics, etc
That's on the theme Mobile 2.0, since the editor buttons appear correctly in the board which you have set to the default theme

I believe that your biggest issue is the error displaying at the top, which indicates that something in the SOURCE is calling the wrong thing.

(also, why do you have tinyportal AND custom blocks mods?)

The *EASIEST* suggestion is:
first and foremost -- take a backup of all files!!!!
then
reset the theme for everyone to default/curve.
Use repair_settings.php to remove all hooks
delete all files and subdirectories in the Sources and Themes directories

upload the 2.0.17 Large Upgrade file and extract all files, overwriting anything that asks.  (note, the UPGRADE archive, ***NOT*** the "Full install" archive)
check and see if posting works.
if so, then install your Mobile 2.0 theme again.
confirm that posting works.
if so, then re-install your mods -- one at a time, checking the box to confirm the installtion is also going into your custom theme
as you install each, confirm that posting works.

The less easy way is to start searching for where the Post.php~ file is getting called....

this is not a breaking error... but in your theme
Code (index.css) Select

.windowbg3
{
color: #000000;
background-color: #F4F44;
}

that color is not valid.

after you get it working...   you probably want to convert to UTF8, and then also install a let's encrypt certificate on your server and switch your site to https.
Слaва
Украинi

Yomiexzy

Thanks a lot, Kindred. Really appreciate the painstaking effort to help out. Though I'm very limited in coding and IT stuffs, I'll have an IT person help effect the suggestions you made. Will update you when I'm done. Gratitude again.

Yomiexzy

Quote from: Kindred on June 11, 2020, 01:52:04 PM
ok...

well, you've got a lot of problems going on here.

first: at the top of your screen, I see
text/x-generic Post.php~ ( PHP script, ASCII text, with very long lines )
the biggest question is WHY is the script attempting to call Post.php~ -- that's a backup file, not a file that should be called by any part of SMF.

second:

TypeError: this.opt.oBBCBox is nulleditor.js:577:2
    updateEditorControls ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:577
    init ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:390
    smc_Editor ..../Themes/default/scripts/editor.js?fin20:150
    <anonymous> ..../index.php/board,74/action,post2.html:420

This means that the post editor is broken -- that's why you only see smilies and do not see the other post edit buttons like  bold, italics, etc
That's on the theme Mobile 2.0, since the editor buttons appear correctly in the board which you have set to the default theme

I believe that your biggest issue is the error displaying at the top, which indicates that something in the SOURCE is calling the wrong thing.

(also, why do you have tinyportal AND custom blocks mods?)

The *EASIEST* suggestion is:
first and foremost -- take a backup of all files!!!!
then
reset the theme for everyone to default/curve.
Use repair_settings.php to remove all hooks
delete all files and subdirectories in the Sources and Themes directories

upload the 2.0.17 Large Upgrade file and extract all files, overwriting anything that asks.  (note, the UPGRADE archive, ***NOT*** the "Full install" archive)
check and see if posting works.
if so, then install your Mobile 2.0 theme again.
confirm that posting works.
if so, then re-install your mods -- one at a time, checking the box to confirm the installtion is also going into your custom theme
as you install each, confirm that posting works.

The less easy way is to start searching for where the Post.php~ file is getting called....

this is not a breaking error... but in your theme
Code (index.css) Select

.windowbg3
{
color: #000000;
background-color: #F4F44;
}

that color is not valid.

after you get it working...   you probably want to convert to UTF8, and then also install a let's encrypt certificate on your server and switch your site to https.

Hi, Kindred. I engaged an IT person to fix the issues I enumerated but was unable to effectively implement your suggestions. I don't know if there is a possibility of me engaging your services at a fee if need be? It's been over 2 months since I last posted on the website, and I have no idea how to resolve this, as I am very limited IT-wise.

Yomiexzy

Advertisement: