Pages visible for guests, invisible for everybody else including admin

Started by Fassbier, April 20, 2020, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fassbier

Dear all,

I'm using SMF 2.0.17, I just did the clean install and uploaded alle the new files from the full update package. But it didn't fix my problem.
All the maintenance tasks in the software itself are used, ok, with no errors.

The Problem appears a few weeks ago, a new member starts his hello thread, a few posts later the page was not visible anymore for me as a admin and anybody else. Just if you are logged out it is still visible. Now we have the same problem in 2-3 another topics. On another one it starts at page 3. 1+2 visible as usual, page 3 invisible, but logged out I can see that there are some posts. There are no posts from the new user, which is normal acting and still there.

I have no idea at the moment to fix this. Any ideas, may anybody help me? What kind of information would be helpful?
please find attached a screenshot how these pages looks like.

Another side problem, attachments are not possible. after select a valid file, we just get a white page. maybe related?

best regards and thanks in advance!
Fassbier

Fassbier

a bit more info from status.php
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    166898.2245 (should be <= 80)

Key buffer read hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.0076 (should be <= 0.01)
Key buffer write hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.6 (should be <= 0.5)
Thread cache hit rate:
(thread_cache_size)    32.5775 (should be >= 30 )
Thread cache usage:
(thread_cache_size)    0.6667 (should be >= 0.7 and <= 0.9)
Temporary table disk usage:
(tmp_table_size)    0.3547 (should be <= 0.5)
Sort merge pass rate:
(sort_buffer)    0.0002 (should be <= 0.001)
Query cache enabled:
(query_cache_type)    0 (should be >= 1 and <= 1)
Query cache miss rate:
(query_cache_limit)    1 (should be <= 0.5)

how can I fix this?

best regards,
Fassbier

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Fassbier on April 20, 2020, 06:02:11 PM
The Problem appears a few weeks ago, a new member starts his hello thread, a few posts later the page was not visible anymore for me as a admin and anybody else. Just if you are logged out it is still visible. Now we have the same problem in 2-3 another topics. On another one it starts at page 3. 1+2 visible as usual, page 3 invisible, but logged out I can see that there are some posts. There are no posts from the new user, which is normal acting and still there.

Can you pm admin access and links to affected topics?

Another side problem, attachments are not possible. after select a valid file, we just get a white page. maybe related?

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=572733.0
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Yup, see the above posted link.

Someone added an attachment in the third page that's too big for SMF to process, so it failed to make a thumbnail. Subsequent views by people who can see attachments go 'oh there's no thumbnail, let me make one' and they fail to make it happen.

Guests can see the page because they can't see thumbnails.

The above link in reply #2 has suggestions on what to change.

Fassbier

Thanks for your help, but I could not fix the problem.
I made the changes for .php. They are changed local, not for master. Is this a reason?
In the Thread is written that there are also some changes to make in the sources folder, but I didn't fint a file here with the described settings.
May you have a list for all files which has to be edited?

best regards,
Fassbier

Arantor

QuoteI made the changes for .php. They are changed local, not for master. Is this a reason?

Yes. The 'master' value is the one built into PHP itself, you can't change that. 'local' is what your server is using. But the numbers you have changed are not the ones that are the problem, you want to change memory_limit, and this particular one you need to change in sources.

As for the things in Sources to change, any time SMF does ini_set('memory_limit' anywhere you need to make the number bigger; it usually sets to either 32M or 128M, you want it to be at least 512M - I don't have a good list off hand, but I think at a minimum in your case you want to be looking in Subs-Graphics.php and probably Display.php and Post.php.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can search all forum files for memory_limit using Notepad++, it recurses into subdirectories.  IIRC you have to change it in a half dozen places, mostly source files.  Don't have time to do it now, will post the edits tonight if you don't get it (and if I remember).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Fassbier

Mabye it helps others, or even me, if you know one more file?

here is a list with "memory_limit" including files:

\index.php
\index.php~
\Sources\Admin.php
\Sources\Class-Package.php
\Sources\DumpDatabase.php
\Sources\Packages.php
\Sources\RepairBoards.php
\Sources\Reports.php
\Sources\Subs-Graphics.php
\Sources\Subs-Members.php
\Sources\Subs-Package.php

edit:// problems still there.
-cannot upload images
-some pages in threads cannot be displayed

Arantor

So which ones have you changed? And what did you change them to?

Fassbier

Thank you for your feedback.
I changed all of them to 512

I tried this mod too, changed up to 1024, didn't help.

Which memory limit is recommended?
Any other ideas?

best regards,
Fassbier

Arantor

Did you put in 512 or 512M ?

If you just put in 512, it's not going to work, needs to have the M after it to mean 512 MB of available room to work with. 512 means just 512, not 512,000,000...

Fassbier

Thank you for your input.
Of course I replaced just the numbers, what was 128M before is now 512M.

Is 512 enough?
Any other idea?

best regards,
Fassbier

Arantor

The only other idea is to find out what the actual error is, looking in the error logs (both SMF's and the server) - if you can't find the server error log, ask your hosting company.

Up to this point we've been guessing a particular cause based on that it happens a lot, but maybe it's not really the cause so it's time to go digging for more information.

Advertisement: