Member Moderation

Started by Doug Heffernan, May 25, 2020, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

Link to Mod

This mod will allow individual members moderations of posts and topics. To add a member in the moderation list go to their profiles and click the [Add To Moderation List].

Only members with the appropriate permissions can moderate members. The permission for that can be found at your Admin Panel->Group Permissions->Member administration. Tick Moderate forum members option and save the changes.

A list of all moderated members will appear in your Admin Panel->Members->Moderated Members.

efk

Sounds promising. I was used to reduce post count to move back members to moderated membergroup/s, so this should make life easier.

Arantor

What's the difference between this and using the warning system to enforce moderation with points?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Arantor on May 25, 2020, 01:29:20 PM
What's the difference between this and using the warning system to enforce moderation with points?

It is much easier to moderate individual members like that imo, without involving extra actions such as moving member back and forth to groups, or like the case that you mentioned.

Quote from: efk on May 25, 2020, 01:15:48 PM
Sounds promising. I was used to reduce post count to move back members to moderated membergroup/s, so this should make life easier.

That was the idea.

Arantor

Um, I didn't say anything about groups, I specifically use the warning system for moderation, I set a warning and that handles moderation for me, irrespective of groups. Not sure how this is different, though.

KittyGalore

I have always used this option it's more or less the same thing although i would prefer to use the warning system than this mod. It's alright creating new mods but this mod is the same that is in SMF default anyway so i think this mod is pointless.
SMF Curve 2.0x

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Arantor on May 25, 2020, 01:46:44 PM
Um, I didn't say anything about groups, I specifically use the warning system for moderation, I set a warning and that handles moderation for me, irrespective of groups. Not sure how this is different, though.

This will allow the admin to just pick a member and simply place him/her on the moderation list without involving the use of the warning system for moderation or any other action.

Quote from: KittyGalore on May 25, 2020, 01:59:03 PM
I have always used this option it's more or less the same thing although i would prefer to use the warning system than this mod. I alright creating new mods but this mod is the same that is in SMF default anyway so i think this mod is pointless.

That is your opinion. Other users like to simply moderate members without involving extra actions. To each its own. If you do not like it, do not use it.

Arantor

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just trying to understand whether it's something I want to add to my setup or not.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Arantor on May 25, 2020, 02:04:43 PM
I'm not trying to say that, I'm just trying to understand whether it's something I want to add to my setup or not.

If you are using the warning system to enforce moderation with points, then I do not think that you need this mod.

P.s. About not using it, I was talking to KittyGalore above btw.

efk

Ideas for improving this mod:
1. Place it on Profile/Actions because 1 click can cause problems to member and as result user can leave forum if placed by mistake on moderation list. I really never check there option on user profile and its just above Send PM which is core feature for most of users.
2. If doable set it be separated in permissions with name like "1 click Profile Moderated". It might be better to be like that because user with such power won't need to have Track User option, so even some trusted member will be able to place problematic member on moderation list without need for access to check IP and other info (email, download profile data).
3. This is probably not possible to be done, but I always wanted to separate security questions for Registration/new user until reaching few posts, and for Moderation - special list. Moderation where we can literally discourage problematic user and having full control over moderation questions for that purpose with more questions so problematic user can feel our toxic behavior towards him like placing to answer on 4 security questions from 15 where 2 questions have wrong answer, so that can make problematic user to go somewhere else or to change behavior.

Diego Andrés

Quote from: Arantor on May 25, 2020, 02:04:43 PM

You could say it's a light version of the core features since it doesn't involve warning nor post moderation.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

efk

In permissions this mod should not use "Moderate forum members" because that name is used by default SMF permission so after installing this mod user will be confused and the point is to not give default Moderate forum members to everyone who can moderate members because default permission contains Track User option and more and point of This mod is to simply put a member on moderation list, so it should be name in Permissions like Add to Moderation list or Fast User Moderation or something like that. Bad logic with same names.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=577027.msg4083963#msg4083963

GL700Wing

In the Admin Center the value of  'Last Login' for a moderated member only shows the time they last logged in.
You cannot view this attachment.

I don't find this particularly useful as I don't know how many days, weeks, months or years it has been since they last logged in ...

I've updated ./Sources/ModerateMmembersAdmin.php to show the date and time a moderated member last logged in.
In ./Sources/ModerateMmembersAdmin.php
Find:
'last_login' => strftime('%H:%M:%S', $row['last_login']),Replace With:
'last_login' => empty($row['last_login']) ? $txt['never'] : timeformat($row['last_login']),
Now I can see the date and time each moderated member last logged in.
You cannot view this attachment.

Note: This code change will not prevent the mod from being uninstalled as the file ./Sources/ModerateMmembersAdmin.php is deleted when the mod is uninstalled.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Advertisement: