News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Altering text on the forum. Buttons etc..

Started by horisize, May 27, 2020, 01:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horisize

If i want to change general text on the forum, like: "MY Messages" to just say "Messages", or: "Users Online" to "Online Now".... do i just correct it in the index.english.php file?

$txt['online_users'] = 'Users Online'; => $txt['online_users'] = 'Online Now';  ?

Deaks

simply yes :) Please make sure you backup the file just incase.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

m4z

And, AFAIK, should you ever decide to update the forum or language files, your changes will be overwritten.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

horisize

Quote from: m4z on May 27, 2020, 05:09:40 PM
And, AFAIK, should you ever decide to update the forum or language files, your changes will be overwritten.

what do you mean? overwritten? my changes would not be permanent?

edit, duhhh, yeah, of course. i see what you mean now. i wasnt thinking. sorry.

Deaks

correct, if you overwrite the files for new ones then the change would be reverted.   Imagine creating a file call my.txt on your desktop and you overwrite it with a new my.txt with different content then the original content would be gone.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: