News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Login.template.php, footer and menu div delete

Started by Flarerahip, May 28, 2020, 04:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

See, that's the thing, I have great distrust of people asking for things and having a disconnect between 'what they say they want' and 'what they actually need'. I make considerable amounts of money talking customers out of what they insist they want and delivering what they actually need.

Deaks

to echo' what Arantor said what someone wants and what someone needs are 2 different things, for example this case he wanted a custom login page ... ssi does that. If you blindly give a client what they think they want if something goes wrong then they will be asking for more support.  If you cant find out why then the response can be tailored and a more exact answer can be given that will reduce any potential errors.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's been my view that if a person knows what they want and aren't interested in answering questions about it, give them what they want and let them decide.  The support request was quite specific and easily done.  No way to know where OP is knowledgewise after 5 posts, so give him what he wants.  If his forum blows up, he'll be back and we can provide further support. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

and yet, reality would prove that you are seriously mistaken in your approach, Sir Osis.

As Arantor said, and I will echo...

I've spent a significant portion of the last 30 years doing the same thing as Arantor.   Sitting down with the customer to discuss their ultimate goal and then working through the BEST PATH rather than just taking their first assumption of what "has to be done".

our goal in support here, and pretty much everywhere, is to PREVENT THE FORUM FROM BLOWING UP IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you and Arantor.  I was a consultant in petroleum industry for 20 years, much of what I did involved regulatory compliance, and a major challenge was to disabuse clients of half-assed ideas about compliance (or lack thereof), and head them in the right direction.  But this is a different situation, and I don't see anything wrong with assisting a member who is tinkering with some customization, and who will learn things in the process.  I've learned quite a bit by doing a lot of crappy coding and blowing things up.  I suppose it's not the best way to go from a support standpoint, but if a member posts a specific request, and additional information is not forthcoming, I don't see any harm in giving him the info he wants and letting him decide if it's useable for whatever purpose he has in mind.  In any event, there's no permanent harm done, in the worst case he'll just have to revert to a clean install, and hopefully be a bit wiser from the experience.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: