News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Reputation points

Started by smartmouse, May 30, 2020, 05:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartmouse

Hello,
before upgrading to SMF 2.1 I was using a mod that let users to add good or bad point eachother.
I can't remember what mod was, but I see that I have "karma_good" and "karma_bad" fields in the "smf_members" SQL table.

Could this a glue to figure out what mod was? If it does, can I use the same on SMF 2.1?

_.EvilExecutor._

It's an in-built feature of SMF.

You can find it  here- YOUR SITE NAME»Forum »Administration Center »Core Features

Kindred

But I believe karma was removed from 2 1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It was, because almost without exception, karma toxified communities.

(I am the one who removed it.)

Deaks

You could however enable the likes feature:

Admin - Configuration - Features and Options - Likes

This will allow users to like a post if they agree with it, their is no unlike option if they disagree with it and I cant ever see it being added.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Illori

but karma was per person and likes is per post, they act very differently.

Arantor

Being per-person is why karma is fundamentally toxic; it creates cliques around which people tend to gather.

Deaks

Quote from: Illori on May 30, 2020, 08:45:32 AM
but karma was per person and likes is per post, they act very differently.

Never stated otherwise Illori, I mentioned it as an alternative, I also mentioned it is post based :)

Quote from: Arantor on May 30, 2020, 09:01:28 AM
Being per-person is why karma is fundamentally toxic; it creates cliques around which people tend to gather.

I agree dude!
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

smartmouse

Thank you for your replies. Yes, now I remember, it was a built-in feature... and I see that it could be toxic.

Anyway, any mod could enable the same karma feature again? I mean that it could use those SQL fields ("karma_good" and "karma_bad").

Arantor

In theory there's no reason why the code couldn't be pulled out of 2.0 and tidied up for 2.1, but no-one's done it, partially because likes are vastly more popular and partially because I don't think anyone here who might care has seen *any* instance of it not being toxic when applied *solely* to people rather than to content.

Especially since by default out of the box you can upvote the same person over and over with I think only an hour's grace between upvotes. Doesn't take many people doing it to mess with it.

If any mod were to do it, much more likely that you'd want to customise it specifically for your site and hopefully find a way to detoxify it. But I haven't seen it done.

Illori

https://github.com/live627/smf-karma i dont know if it works with the current code in SMF 2.1, but it has been put out there.

kokkieblanda

is something like this possible?

Arantor

The structure of the database makes this difficult to do efficiently (and it has a similar problem is that it gives popular posters a reputation tha isn't necessarily deserved)

Advertisement: