News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Detect Multiple Accounts from Same IP

Started by Doug Heffernan, May 31, 2020, 12:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m4z

I recommend reading the whole text. Visiting or using a website is not consent. Cookies have to be agreed to, for each type of cookie (essential, tracking, marketing etc.), before the cookie is set (possible exception: essential cookies, where it might not be technically feasible otherwise), by a user action.
You are not allowed to deny service if a non-essential type of cookie is not accepted by the user. (Essentially, this is what you're doing if you force the user to either accept the tracking cookie and use the service, or go away.)

Or, to use a more direct quote:
QuoteConsent must be freely given
"Freely given" consent essentially means you have not cornered the data subject into agreeing to you using their data. For one thing, that means you cannot require consent to data processing as a condition of using the service. They need to be able to say no.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: m4z on June 07, 2020, 01:18:53 PM
I recommend reading the whole text. Visiting or using a website is not consent. Cookies have to be agreed to, for each type of cookie (essential, tracking, marketing etc.), before the cookie is set (possible exception: essential cookies, where it might not be technically feasible otherwise), by a user action.
You are not allowed to deny service if a non-essential type of cookie is not accepted by the user. (Essentially, this is what you're doing if you force the user to either accept the tracking cookie and use the service, or go away.)

Or, to use a more direct quote:
QuoteConsent must be freely given
"Freely given" consent essentially means you have not cornered the data subject into agreeing to you using their data. For one thing, that means you cannot require consent to data processing as a condition of using the service. They need to be able to say no.

That has nothing to do with the mod in question btw. Other forums have what my mod does built in and mention it in the cookie banner, like I mentioned in one of my previous posts above. Anyways, the bottom line is that the mod can be used fine in eu countries as well.

Other than that, talking about cookies and what not, is a discussion for elsewhere.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Arantor on June 07, 2020, 08:53:13 AM
In fact in Germany in particular, even a temporary session cookie is legally questionable without explicit permission, let alone something more permanent.

That sounds a bit like a legal minefield, technically just by them visiting a page it sounds like the site could potentially fall foul of the relevant German law. Ironically the only way to record that someone hasn't given permission for cookies to be used (afaik) is - cookies

Advertisement: