2.0.16 Upgrade : You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings

Started by skarsatai, June 09, 2020, 03:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skarsatai

hello community. I need your help with this problem. I run a 2.0.15 with this mods (with no probs at all) and I would like to go til 2.0.17

SMF Datei   Deine Version   Aktuelle Version
SMF Paket   SMF 2.0.15   SMF 2.0.17
Quellen   2.0.12   2.0.17
Standard-Template   2.0   2.0.16
Sprachdateien   2.0   2.0.16

1.   Country Flags   3.0
2.   SMF Articles   3.0.3a    
3.   SimpleColorizer   1.1    [
4.   Attachment List In Recent Posts   1.7    
5.   Email Inactive Users   1.1.1
6.   Download Attachment   1.0    
7.   Search Sent PMs   2.5    
8.   Moderator and Administrator Comment Tags   1.9    
9.   Like Posts   2.1.2
10.   Hall Of Fame   1.1    
11.   Board Stats   1.0    
12.   Attachment List In Recent Posts   1.6   
13.   Ultimate Menu   1.0.2    
14.   Sisyphus   2.0.1    
15.   Snowflakes   1.7    
16.   Delete Unactivated Members   1.4    
17.   YandexGarland   1.3.3    
18.   Yet Another Spoiler Mod   1.1   
19.   Welcome Topic Mod   2.3a    
20.   Force Read Unread Pms   1.0    
21.   Google Member Map   3.0.4    
22.   Show Unread Private Messages   1.2    
23.   Yet Another Spoiler Mod   1.2    
24.   Reply Button In Every Post   1.0    
25.   Admin Notes   2.0    
26.   Today Registrations   1.0    
27.   Welcome Topic Mod   2.3   
28.   Karma Description Mod   2.8.1    
29.   List Of Users In Forum/Board/Topic   3.2    
30.   Most Popular Topic Today   2.3    
31.   Topic Viewers   1.0    
32.   Menu_Icons   1.0    
33.   Sarcasmics smiley set   1.1.0.1   
34.   AutoAward   1.0

how to update to 2.0.16

If you are running version 2.0.15, you can update your forum to the latest version by using the package manager. You should see the update notification in the admin panel notifications and in the package manager, which will allow you to download and install the patch seamlessly.  If you do not see the notification about the patch, please run the scheduled task "Fetch Simple Machines files" from the Scheduled Tasks page (Admin > Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks).

after installing the SMF 2.0.16 Update via package manager ( successfully) after relogin I cannot login anymore with the msg" You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings". And this is persisent so I had to roll back to 2..0.15 via backup. What can I do that it will work ? what causes this error ? how to fix it ? If I cant login the users cannot as well..

any suggestion or fix / help would be much appreciated !

greetings martin

Looking

Clear your cookies and browser cache and login via the login page only.

skarsatai

Hi looking. thanks for the advice. Is this only with 2.0.16 ? does it happen to 2.0.17 as well? what do you mean by "login via the login page only." ? I have two login areas: one in the left upper corner and one in the center of the smf Forum...

Looking

It has been known to happen to some users. There is a specific login page, use that rather than the one in the upper left hand corner.

m4z

And if that doesn't work, try the one in the upper left corner. (For me, after updating my test forum to 2.0.16, login only worked via the top left .)

PS: Does your username or password contain any Unicode characters?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

skarsatai

hello m4z. thanks for the info. no, there is no unicode in the character. I will try the removal of the cookie sto see if it works.

skarsatai

just tested it. with cookies deleted and browserhistory, the same error. still problems with You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings on both login precedures. the security update for cookies works TOOOOOO good an my side. :-) the forum decides to let no one in

m4z

Given all these mods, you probably had to do a lot of manual editing to get the update to proceed, right?

Is your forum on HTTP or HTTPS, and did you recently change that? (I vaguely remember a cookie problem with HTTP(?) domains in either .16 or .17...)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

skarsatai

hello m4z.
no editing at all. all mods worked right out of the box in 2.0.15

the 2.0.16 says all is well with the update all went successfully afterwards.
on https.
change to this was late year around in december.

my problem is I have one shot to go if it is not working I have to go back to 2.0.15 but it takes ages via the backup restore function of my hoster (forum sits on a shared server with OVH a big french company).

knut

Quote from: m4z on June 10, 2020, 06:20:54 AMGiven all these mods, you probably had to do a lot of manual editing to get the update to proceed, right?

Is your forum on HTTP or HTTPS, and did you recently change that? (I vaguely remember a cookie problem with HTTP(?) domains in either .16 or .17...)
Hi Guys,
I have the same problem but my website is still on http. Could this be the reason and what could I do to solve it?
I have already a lot other tips tried but nothing has helped.
Please help, I am at a loss.

Dzonny

On which SMF version you're at?
Also, is this happening only on custom theme or in default as well?

knut

Hi,
I had succesful updated from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16. Then I was automaticly logged off.
So the challenge began. I have in the meantime updated step by step to 2.0.18 on an locally copy.
Then all updated files copied to the live site. But the result is still the same. The forum is in maintenance mode currently.

I use the default theme.

Dzonny

Can you tell us which mods you have installed? Maybe we can see the URL as well?
Do you have utf8 chars in your password?

knut

No utf8 chars in password. I have also tried another (admin) username.

Installed mods:
- GDPR Helper
- PM Attachments
- reCaptcha for SMF
- External and NoFollow All Links
- Topic Solved

URL:
http://www.jdownloads.com

Dzonny

Okay, you have an iframe with a forum in there. That's a bad idea, and is most likely causing this issue. Can you try to login on direct forum path and see if there's a problem as well?

knut

I use an older Joomla bridge software (jFusion) to get it inside in Joomla. This has worked very nice since round ten years. Until my update to 2.0.16. Nothing was changed in the last days.

I have now also changed to PHP 7.4 (the main reason to try the update) but the issue still appears.

I will check the direct forums URL, but it can be that it exist here a redirect.

knut

Okay, I have commented out the redirection in the .htaccess.

Afterwards tried the direct forums URL:
http://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php

And now I can log in successfully:)

So far so good. But why is not longer possible the old way? For me it can be only the new SMF version.

Kindred

both SMF and joomla have changed over the years....     and AFAIK, the joomla fusion bridge stopped working years ago.

the use of iframes is hazardous these days...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

knut

Okay. I understand. So I must use it stand alone futurely.

Thanks a lot at Dzonny and Kindred!  ;)

Advertisement: