Dark theme for this site?

Started by spiros, June 09, 2020, 02:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiros

Would be good to have a dark theme option given the availability of so many dark themes.

Deaks

SMF has always used the default with no modifications or little, so I cannot see this happening.  In honesty their is an accessibility argument here.  I know K@ used a browser addon and forced the css to have a dark theme as he needed it so it is possible using external methods.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

spiros

I am not talking about the main theme being a dark theme, I am talking of having the option to select a dark theme as a user. In all honesty, I cannot see why this could not happen.

I use browser add-ons for dark theme, but current themes do not look good in them due to heavy image use. You are correct, this is an important accessibility issue, SMF should be accessible.

Arantor

There are some technical considerations that make this difficult to manage on this site.

Not to mention the maintenance of it in future SMF editions.

spiros

I don't thing that much maintenance is required. Just install a working theme. Something, even if imperfect, is better than nothing. Checking the stats for this site's use of alternative themes:

The default theme from Simple Machines.
7 people are using this theme.

The default theme of SMF's previous incarnation, codenamed Core.
11 people are using this theme.

I doubt there is much maintenance going on on these themes.

Arantor

You're assuming the theme is on the same server as the forum itself.

Which given that the URLs for the default theme images are not even on the same *domain* isn't a given. (They're served from https://static.simplemachinesweb.com/smf/default/images/ in case you're wondering).

You're also assuming that this wouldn't immediately be a second class citizen (like the way the session check was introduced in 2.0.14 Curve but not in 2.0.14 Core).

But I'm sure you understand the server architecture and setup of the server here more than I do or what's involved in the practicalities of this.

I'd also point out that 2.1 isn't even shipping an update of Curve for 2.1, when you upgrade you get that theme and nothing else. No backwards compatibility.

Ricky.

There is multi-variant theme feature in SMF (same theme, multiple CSS), may be use it .

spiros

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2020, 02:52:04 PM
But I'm sure you understand the server architecture and setup of the server here more than I do or what's involved in the practicalities of this.

I doubt I understand something with respect to SMF or server architecture better than you do -:)

On the other had, I did already know about static files being served from a different domain. It still beats me why simply installing an extra theme would be such a major undertaking.

Ideally, the main theme should have the ability to switch to a different css scheme, not being heavy on image use would make that easier.

Anyway, thoughts for a more accessible future for all.

Arantor

Because the theme doesn't live on the same server... that's the point.

SMF does have a variant system, but even then it would still immediately become a second class citizen much the way RTL already is.

Illori

We also have some custom features in our theme. If we gave more options then that is more for our small site team to support. So much more likely that it could be removed due to lack of time. Then we get more complaints.

m4z

2.1 will have the Curve2 color changer (sadly, IIRC it only works on the default theme, so you can't set multiple color schemes; schemes can't be exported to a (file system) theme copy; and it can't be used by individual users for themselves, only by the admin).

I personally use global style changers like the Stylus add-on with a "global dark" userstyles.org theme in Chromium, or the "dark background with light text" (IIRC) add-on in Firefox.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Sir Osis of Liver

It's always been my feeling that this forum should have done more to demonstrate the flexibility, both visually and functionally, of the software.  This site looks pretty much (exactly?) the same as it has since 2.0 was officially released (9 years ago Thursday!), that's a very long time for anything software-related.  Rotating themes, featured mods, there's so much can be done with SMF, it's a shame no attempt was made to promote it here.  I appreciate the maintenance hassles it would create, but still, it seems a missed opportunity.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

This site was always meant to keep to the default theme in general so that it's a showcase of what you get out of the box.

Every time mods are used here, people ask how they're configured as though they're core features.

That said I miss smsite2 as a theme and wish we could have that back, I always preferred it to Curve.

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, what about 2.1 Curve2?  It's very similar to Curve.  IIRC, Kindred had done some really nice looking color variants while 2.1 was still alpha, but Curve2 ends up being very bland. :P  After all this time in development, I'd prefer to see 2.1 come out with a whole new look.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Then you guarantee it'll take even longer to change it AGAIN.

Sir Osis of Liver

I believe what Kindred did on a test install was all css, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change.  Wonder if he still has it?

- R. Waters

gecitli

I think this topic will help you.

Demo
http://www.webtiryaki.com
webmaster forumu
Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

you mean this?

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/

I'm still working on getting that tweaked for my client before 2.1 final comes out...
and I need to put the "palette choice" option back in.

but yes, it's all CSS (except for the palette chooser)

Quote from: gecitli on June 10, 2020, 11:40:51 AM
I think this topic will help you.

That's source changes....   which we have already explained why we don't do that here/
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I would be concerned if the SMF team were not capable of implementing this on their own site, but it isn't the simple case people make it out to be because this site has a ton of integration work, not to mention the multiple server front ends required to service it.

The skill is here to do it, but there are better things to spend the limited developer time available on.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2020, 11:44:23 AM
you mean this?

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/

Yes, that's it. :)  Will that be available on theme site or is it strictly a custom job for client?

- R. Waters

Advertisement: