News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

******NEW WP2SMF Bridge 2020...COMING SOON!!!!!!******

Started by Korotana365, June 11, 2020, 05:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korotana365

Hi there All,

Having been frustrated by all the searching on the net and the like, I have now gotton a team together and will be building a WP to SMF Wordpress plugin.

So my question to all you SMF buffs, out there:

What are the main features that you're looking for, without making it too expensive (it is a paid plugin but will be managed, loved and updated).

It will be like this attached image, and initially will have a SSO(single sign on) in both databases - WP and SMF  will know you've logged in and are registered and logged out....

The SMF will be in the iFrame of the WP site and can be Opened in New Window if required or in the same window.

You thoughts and suggestion would be most appreciated.

Kindly

Kuldip
******After the Final No is a YES!******

Arantor

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mick.

Arantor

Quote from: Mick. on June 11, 2020, 07:50:03 AM
How's that going to work with Firefox browser?

Fine if you take out the security measure in SMF...

Mick.

Quote from: Arantor on June 11, 2020, 07:53:47 AM
Quote from: Mick. on June 11, 2020, 07:50:03 AM
How's that going to work with Firefox browser?

Fine if you take out the security measure in SMF...
That's not the way to go tho lol

shinglis

Oh Divi... ;D

I would be interested in this bridge. so some comments or suggestions.,

- needs to have DB integration, single sign on etc
- WP widget(s) similar to existing portals, for lastest posts, stats etc.
- possible linking post comments to forum topic. (i.e. cross posting)

I have no idea how difficult any of the above would be to implement but you asked for comments  8)

Korotana365

thanks yo'all for your comments, i don't know what itll end upi being, but your comments are a start..Please keep'm  coming.

I know those you  have said Eww, its not for everyone and its a start... :)

Arantor

Thing is, for properly built themes, iframes aren't required. In fact, depending on the site configuration, your plugin for SMF has to go out of its way to make SMF *less secure* to make it work.

That's the part I said 'ew' about, the use of iframes which for most activities should just go away and die.

SMF has for 15 years had features to help handle and integrate themes into things using the layers system, designed for integrating with CMSes.

Kindred

exactly...    don't use iframes.   seriously -- just don't.   Even aside from the security implications, it ends up making the forum look like something completely separate, not part of the site.

You are aware that there is a current bridge SMF <-> WP already, yes?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Korotana365

Not update for yrs and not in touch with what today's smfer's want

Korotana365

Having an smf inside a wp site enable the user to click on links and tabs of the wp site.

Having a SSO amd other wp plug-in "wants" can be an option to invite and encourage peeps to see formula as an alternative to FB and other social media sites and having wp with its pages can be good, or a flop, but I'm open to seeing it go with way...

This  is my current version:

Dev2.Stdd.Kuldipkorotana.Com

Dev2.Stdd.Kuldipkorotana.Com/forum

More to come

Arantor

No-one is disputing the value of putting the forum inside WP.

Everyone is just disputing the *how*. SSO is necessary but iframes are not a requirement for SSO. All you need to do is implement the functionality in SMF that just doesn't show the header, while embedding the rest of the page into the WP theme...

Kindred

and, BTW: I believe the existing WP <-> SMF bridge was updated just over a month or two ago....

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 09, 2020, 01:16:06 PM
Here is one SMF to Wordpress
https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=228

The second part is Wordpress To SMF
https://github.com/xchwarze/WP2SMFBridge
Слaва
Украинi

Korotana365

wp2smfbridge

3 yrs ago it was updated.

And thats my problem..

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp2smfbridge/

Version:2.0.0 Last updated:3 years ago Active installations:60+

Thats 60 installations, does that tell you something.. yes it does,... its not popular or what SMF'ers want or need, so now is the time to get behind me please and make a difference...

If this option is NOT your cuppa tea, thats ok, but for those who might want a WP --->SMF , here is you opportunity to get behind this project and send me and tell me  what you'd like...

NOT, what you don't like or want...

I really want to make  a difference and its through yo'all that this can be a success...

Kuldip

Deaks

Personally I would never use this, integration should be flawless Iframes dont allow that.  Also you are saying current one was updated 3 years ago.  That 3 years listed is when it was added to github the 2 main files were updated 2 months ago.

Quotebridge.php   Added support for SMF 2.0.16+ with the hash_hmac cookie changes   2 months ago

I would also worry as the demand is not going to be as high as you think, the demand will be small so please remember this when setting your price.  I dont want to sound too critical nor discourage your creativity however I think that people are more likley to use the free one that is tested and is done in a safer way.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Korotana365

Kindred, yes i see the README was updated 2 months ago...but its not reflected on wordpress.org.

As for the great question by MICK:

"How's that going to work with Firefox browser?"

how would you like it to be in Firefox Browser or Chorome Or Safari?

You thoughts would be most appreciated

Kuldip

Korotana365

Yes Deaks, you're right, but right now I'm just building up a profile of what really needed for 2020... and if it works great, if not.. it was a topic worthy of talking about...

Kindly

Kuldip

Deaks

some advice look at making it for 2.1, you are more likley to get people buying something if you have an image than shooting for the stars and falling.  Its admirable that you aiming high and want to get an image, but release mods on the mod site for free, build a name while you are working on this, you may be able to do what some do free version and a paid version.  SMF 2.1 while it's in development the user base is growing and needs mods and themes you have a growing market their.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

Just so you know... the main reason why there are so few uses of the bridge is because most people who are running smf don't want to run Wordpress...   after all, a forum site is a very different beast from a blog site.

Our biggest integration used to be smf <-> mambo/joomla.  Which was an actual cams rather than a repurposed blog. In the time since then, the portal systems for smf have improved by leaps and bounds.

Which is not to say that you can't or shouldn't do it...  but you seem to be under some mistaken impressions....  and I will say again, serisoily, to get a good integration, stay away from iframes. Focus on implementing smf seamlessly into Wordpress, and you might have a few buyers.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: