News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Email subject with =?UTF-8?B? when special character used in topic title

Started by sypie, June 15, 2020, 12:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sypie

As we use SMF 2.0.17 we have a small issue:

When users create a topic with a special character or accent the notification email has a weird subject. The subject starts with =?UTF-8?B? (without quotes) followed by a random code like:TmlldXdlIHJlYWN0aWU6IEJlcmljaHRlbiBhcHA6IHdhYXJvbSBBcHAgU3RvcmUgZW4gRm90byBsb2dvIGxpY2h0Z3JpanMgw6luIGluIGtsZXVy?=

We use the Dutch translation with the UTF-8 character set. There is also an option for the ISO-8859-1 that we don't use.

Is this issue something that belongs to SMF or to the web/mailserver?

vbgamer45

That's a mailserver issue.
Your mailserver isn't accepting UTF8 subject lines.

That is how it is encoded.
=? character set 
?B - base64

TmlldXdlIHJlYWN0aWU6IEJlcmljaHRlbiBhcHA6IHdhYXJvbSBBcHAgU3RvcmUgZW4gRm90byBsb2dvIGxpY2h0Z3JpanMgw6luIGluIGtsZXVy?= The characters are then
Nieuwe reactie: Berichten app: waarom App Store en Foto logo lichtgrijs én in kleur
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

sypie

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 15, 2020, 01:05:21 PM
The characters are then:
Nieuwe reactie: Berichten app: waarom App Store en Foto logo lichtgrijs én in kleur
That's true, I guess it's just decoding with a base64 decoder.

So, if it isn't solveable with SMF we have to look into the mailserver settings I guess?

vbgamer45

Yeah it's a mail client issue if the email is not displaying the correct subject line when you receive it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

sypie

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 15, 2020, 02:52:43 PM
Yeah it's a mail client issue...
Well I guess it's not an issue on the client side. My Mail (on macOS) works perfect special characters in the subject line. Lot's of other senders have this and it works fine. Only the mailserver of this forum is not accepting the UTF-8 charachter set.

Advertisement: