News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

New Members

Started by Kustomuk, June 24, 2020, 04:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kustomuk

If i remember right back in the day,...When new members joined they popped up on the main frontpage of the forum on the members icon.
As for now i have to go looking in the members, registration to check if anyone has joined to activate.

Is there anyway of making them pop up when they join on the main forum page so i dont need to go into this section to keep looking for new members.

Thanks for any help given.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kustomuk on June 24, 2020, 04:02:13 AM
If i remember right back in the day,...When new members joined they popped up on the main frontpage of the forum on the members icon.
As for now i have to go looking in the members, registration to check if anyone has joined to activate.

Is there anyway of making them pop up when they join on the main forum page so i dont need to go into this section to keep looking for new members.

Thanks for any help given.

What do you mean by "popped up on the main frontpage"? Can you post a screenshot?

shadav

not sure what you mean by pop-up
but
in your admin under members go to registration and then settings
make sure that Notify administrators when a new member joins is checked

other than that there's this mod that shows on the index people that registered within the last 24 hours
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4171

or this mod that creates a post to welcome new members
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=789

KittyGalore

I may be wrong but i think he/she is referring to new members having to be admin approval and before they were set to immediate registration or it could be the latest member appear as joined on the board index in the forum stats.
SMF Curve 2.0x

Sir Osis of Liver

Most themes have a pending activations alert in admin user info panel.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

efk

Not sure why admin need to activate its users, he can just post under moderation posts for new member membergroup which has 0 posts, and it can be like that for next few posts until next post based membergroup. About latest members on forum, portal is better solution than suggested mods above. SimplePortal for example has block to display latest members and admin can set how many members will be displayed https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104

Sir Osis of Liver

Admin approval is preferred registration method on many forums, I use it on mine.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Admin approval is outdated - especially on any sort of busy forum where then admin is not actually online 24/7
and it's unnecessary (in most cases) with good spam protection
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

I use it on my forums because they're invitation only, nobody registers if I don't know who they are.  I have some client forums that screen new members or otherwise restrict registration for various reasons.  I can appreciate it not being useful on busy public forums, but it is a necessary feature for some forums.

- R. Waters

efk

I never saw Admin Approval on SMF related forums, but on some other forums that system was disaster, waiting for days for something, even weeks.

Based on a10 idea, this is how I make it on my forums, full advanced system, Kustomuk unless your situation is the same like on forum where Sir Osis of Liver is using Admin Approval, my advice is to read this and to set settings like this
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571419.msg4045460#msg4045460

Advertisement: