News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Viewport Issue

Started by jbridges87, June 29, 2020, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbridges87

I recently received a warning in the Google Search Console, for mobile usability issues.
I've attached a screenshot to give an example.

As you can see, the image is not filling the screen size, and so I'm wondering if this is a viewport issue?

I tried changing the viewport as follows;

From: <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
To: <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, minimum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no, target-densityDpi=device-dpi" />

However, the Google Search console is still reporting mobile usability errors, and the image looks the same, with the page squished up into the corner of the screen.
Also, if viewing the website from chrome, I get a horizontal scrolling bar, with grey area. Oddly enough, I don't get this on firefox.

Any ideas on what may be the cause?
Come by and check out my sports forum, here.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Deaks

what theme are you using?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

drewactual

out of curiosity, try the over-simplified:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width"/>

and report back. 

jbridges87

@Deaks - Reseller theme.

@drewactual - No change.
Running SMF v2.0.17

drewactual

add to your primary css:

@media (max-width: 850px) {
body{width:100vw!important; max-width:100%!important;}
}

use whatever standard your CSS currently uses for the @media width (e.g. 750px, 850px, 970px, ect)... if 'body' doesn't catch it, maybe using #wrapper will...

jbridges87

No luck with either body or wrapper.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Deaks

I would ask in the themes support topic, as they will be able to assist better with making the theme more responsive as they are claiming it is
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

jbridges87

I tried that. Sent a message two days ago, and haven't received a response.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Arantor

You sent a message demanding someone help you and only you, or you posted in the theme's topic where everyone can benefit?

Chen Zhen

Your site is Crown Sports?

It seems to be responsive when I test it using MS Edge dev tools (all available devices).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

jbridges87

@Chen Zhen - Yeah, it seems to be working okay from desktop and mobile, albeit mobile is giving me a horizontal scroll bar on chrome.

I don't know enough about coding to know exactly what's going on.
I had two more boards pop up on the Google mobile usability error today. All for the same issue, as shown in my original post.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Deaks

As I mentioned you need to ask the theme author if I mind correctly they also have their on support site so try posting on their the issue in this case its the theme and not the software.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

lurkalot

On the mobile friendly test page, on the top of the left pane where it says, "Page Loading Issues"  Click the view details link.  It will give you some more info on what's being blocked, and show you the mixed content errors I mentioned to you in the other topic.

I don't see a horizontal scrollbar anywhere, except on the responsive google ad at the bottom when I resize the window, but that's normal, and wouldn't do this on a fresh page load.

jbridges87

@lurkalot - You don't see a horizontal scroll bar form mobile chrome? I do.

@Antechinus - Not sure why all of that would be blocked by robots.txt. This is all I have in my robots file.

User-agent: *
Disallow: /test_site/
Disallow: https://crown-sports.com/index.php?action=stats

Sitemap: https://crown-sports.com/sitemap.xml
Running SMF v2.0.17

lurkalot

Quote from: jbridges87 on June 30, 2020, 10:40:56 AM

@lurkalot - You don't see a horizontal scroll bar form mobile chrome? I do.

Not on my Android in Chrome, or Edge, no, it looks fine.  Looks fine on my laptop too, apart from that rogue TP Expand/Collapse icon which probably needs turning off if you don't use it.  Looks like the AddThis or Paypal icons are interfering with it anyway, because it becomes inactive once they load. 

Chen Zhen

overflow-x: hidden;
Adding the above to your body CSS for mobile will stop the horizontal scrolling.

I was able to duplicate your default screen size issue last night while testing.
I will look at a solution for you when I am at home later this evening if not resolved at that time.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Chen Zhen

Also show a screenshot of installed mods.
Are the social media icons/links part of the theme or a mod? I ask this because they are causing some of the errors noted in other posts above due to mixed protocols on what is supposed to be a secure page. This may not be relevant to your reported issue but just saying..

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

jbridges87

I saw that overflow command mentioned a few times during my search on the problem. A few people mentioned that it isn't a true fix because it just hides the problem?
I honestly don't know one way or the other. I'm willing to try it out.

The social icons at the bottom of the articles are built into Tiny Portal, and the social/donation icons on the forum are from the tool, AddThis.

Mod list attached.
Thanks for checking on this.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Chen Zhen

Uninstall the Optimus modification & test your mobile layout afterward.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Advertisement: