[Preview] Curve Reborn (Variants) [WIP]

Started by shadav, July 03, 2020, 04:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadav

Slowly but surely working on it....
So my end goal is to have Purple, Red, Blue, Green, Default, and Orange

right now I got Purple pretty much done (or as good as it's going to get)
the menu is still a bit off but meh

added several things from the tips and tricks threads and a few mods, as far as I can tell all of them allowed to be used (though I will be giving credit where credit is due)

this is just an edited version of the default Curve theme 2.0.17

shadav

Deaks

Gonna be honest its a really good first theme, not fan of the colours personally but layout and approach is really good.  You do have a slight alignment issue on your new feeder header, I would also look at moving the copyright abit so you can get the social media icons on it.  I do like seeing some of your changes from Tips and Tricks in it, a few I am going to use on SMF Review :D  But really good first theme
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

shadav

woops, didn't notice the news header on the dark background

the social media icons actually float on the bottom of the page so they move as you scroll down....

I found a neat tip about showing things only to buddies, so I made the asl only to be shown to buddies (Seemed appropriate)

:laugh: I'm not gonna lie, I don't like the colors either  :laugh: not a fan of purple, so I wanted to get it out of the way first (and finding a color that looked good overall was a bit difficult, the green was the only one that I could find that looked halfway decent)

and well the default I didn't want to touch it's colors too much, try to keep it as close to the original as I could

still need to fix some things but can't figure it out....the menu gets a bit strange when hovering on the dropdown....

can't for the life of me style the buttonlist....

finding it a bit annoying  :P there's some things that I want to do but can't because I'd have to touch source files....

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

shadav

shadav

Quote from: Deaks on July 03, 2020, 01:31:31 PM
Do you have a live demo?

hostingspot.net/testing/smf20/

*edited, moved to new site*

Antechinus

Quote from: shadav on July 03, 2020, 12:36:23 PM
:laugh: I'm not gonna lie, I don't like the colors either  :laugh: not a fan of purple, so I wanted to get it out of the way first (and finding a color that looked good overall was a bit difficult, the green was the only one that I could find that looked halfway decent)

Here's something I've found about multi-colour themes. There's a tendency to try too many things, rather than just concentrating on a few that really work. My 2c: just let the thing percolate for a while, and ditch any you don't think are first rate, or rework them until you think they are. If you don't have a feel for a variant yourself, it's always going to end up a bit half-arsed.

Quotestill need to fix some things but can't figure it out....the menu gets a bit strange when hovering on the dropdown....

That'll be a basic CSS issue. Should be easy to fix.

Quotecan't for the life of me style the buttonlist....

That too. :D The default buttonlist is a bit of a pig's breakfast. The trick is to rewrite the CSS to make it saner.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524638.msg3715543#msg3715543

shadav

Quote from: Antechinus on July 03, 2020, 05:20:51 PM
Here's something I've found about multi-colour themes. There's a tendency to try too many things, rather than just concentrating on a few that really work. My 2c: just let the thing percolate for a while, and ditch any you don't think are first rate, or rework them until you think they are. If you don't have a feel for a variant yourself, it's always going to end up a bit half-arsed.
:laugh: I never seem to ever be completely done messing with stuff....
and well, just because I don't particularly like it, doesn't mean someone else might not....but yeah, it's not gonna be up for grabs anytime soon, still tinkering and fixing things...

QuoteThat'll be a basic CSS issue. Should be easy to fix.
except for that I suck at css  :laugh: but I think I know what the issue is at least now....now to figure out a fix....
the hover effect on the parent doesn't apply to the before and after when hovering on a submenu, so only the middle section of the parent is the hover color and the rest is the normal color....

QuoteThat too. :D The default buttonlist is a bit of a pig's breakfast. The trick is to rewrite the CSS to make it saner.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524638.msg3715543#msg3715543
woot, thank you....that fixed the issue and now they are styled to match the rest of the buttons

Antechinus

Quotethe hover effect on the parent doesn't apply to the before and after when hovering on a submenu, so only the middle section of the parent is the hover color and the rest is the normal color....

There isn't any before or after, unless you put them in yourself. :D TBH the default menu markup is a tad pox, just as the default buttonlist markup is a tad pox. This was because they were originally coded to support rounded corners in old versions of Internet Explorer, which haven't been relevant for years now. I realise there is a reluctance to edit templates (I know where that can lead) but there are some minor edits that are worth doing, IMO.

For example, a viewport meta tag makes a lot of sense these days because it enables proper responsive behaviour. I'd rate that as more important than the slight chance of said tag possibly breaking installation of some obscure mod. Same with menus. Menu mods will play with the arrays in Subs.php, and will just let the template markup do whatever it wants. Ditto for the buttonlist. This means you can clean up some crud to make life easier when it comes to customising presentation. You can even make the menu switch to hamburger automatically on small screens, which is not at all difficult to arrange.

All of this is coded in index.template.php, which has to be included in any custom theme, and if you are thinking of making a multi theme then you will inevitably have to edit that template anyway. So personally I'd skip the "SMF templates are sacred and inviolable" stuff and just do what makes sense. :)

shadav

shadav

Curve Reborn Green

added a slight transparent background on the upper section links to help with legibility.....

shadav

Antechinus

Now where did I leave that tab of acid? :D

They certainly have impact, and the colour schemes are basically good. Could still do with some detailing IMO. The old CC and PoD icons are a bit crap on those variants. Personally I'd lose the border radius in a few places too. It doesn't really work on the icon cells. Category headings could benefit from a bit more breathing room. There seems to be a right border declared on the last cells in each row too, which is making them look misaligned to the header bars.

shadav

Quote from: Antechinus on July 11, 2020, 07:58:40 PM
Now where did I leave that tab of acid? :D

They certainly have impact, and the colour schemes are basically good. Could still do with some detailing IMO. The old CC and PoD icons are a bit crap on those variants. Personally I'd lose the border radius in a few places too. It doesn't really work on the icon cells. Category headings could benefit from a bit more breathing room. There seems to be a right border declared on the last cells in each row too, which is making them look misaligned to the header bars.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I do have a tendency to overdo things, just a tad bit  :laugh:

not sure what you mean by the right border on cells...

and one more for today....

A bit more simple ;)

shadav

ok so I've been working on a simpler version  :P
still need to rework the green and orange but here are the default, purple, blue, and red versions

Sir Osis of Liver

I like the first one, purple and green works for me, even though it shouldn't.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shadav

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 05, 2020, 09:27:56 PM
I like the first one, purple and green works for me, even though it shouldn't.
thank you and I agree, you wouldn't think they go together but it somehow worked well...took awhile to find a color that worked with the purple :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shadav

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 05, 2020, 09:41:48 PM
Responsive?
as best as I can do  :laugh: used the responsive curve mod and some other suggestions but it could use some work, but that's a bit above my knowledge....

Advertisement: