Security Mod

Started by Deaks, July 05, 2020, 11:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

Ok so their is no mod that does this that I can see on mod site, but for spam prevention people set it so you need to have  have say 10 posts or something till they can stop the captcha etc on posting and PM's.

Would be great if someone who is nice can make a mod that stops this if they are in a certain group.  So say user is in "TOTAL AWESOME GROUP" and has 1 post that user would be exempt from having to answer anti spam questions.   Of course the groups that are exempt are set in AP

2.0.17 upwards :D
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

I'd personally tell people to just suck it up for the first few posts :P

Illori

or manually increase their post count.

Deaks

their are a few scenarios where that is hard, the mod could be used as a group benefit, such as say Charter Membership (using on here as its something thats relatable), someone who pays money is less likley to post spam, and if they do the site makes money.  However thank you for your conventional thinking.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Conventional thinking suggests that people who join up don't usually hit such groups immediately, and that situations where it does happen are pretty rare - and you were given choices that don't require a mod to be made.

Not every problem requires a solution to be created just for it.

Deaks

but not everyone asks, I know a few people that are interested in such a mod :)  If its a good idea or not is a personal opinion, I have been given suggestions that I have already previously considered and rejected, just as you do not like it does not mean others will feel the same.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Arantor

I'm sure you know best after all.

landyvlad

Arantor while I agree with your thinking on the value or otherwise of the requested mod - it is exactly that - just a request.

I don't think this needs to deteriorate into a... umm...  "robust discussion" 

Just my $0.02 less tax.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

I disagree, any proposed change that involves someone doing something of effort should be robustly investigated.

Especially when the pool of people who can make a thing is far smaller than the pool of people who want things.

GL700Wing

Quote from: Deaks on July 05, 2020, 11:20:26 AM
Would be great if someone who is nice can make a mod that stops this if they are in a certain group.  So say user is in "TOTAL AWESOME GROUP" and has 1 post that user would be exempt from having to answer anti spam questions.   Of course the groups that are exempt are set in AP
I implemented this on a forum that has Paid Subscriptions - I also added the option to exclude long term 'newbies' (ie, members who joined a long time ago but have not posted much in post-count boards) from captcha - see Exclude specific group IDs and long term 'Newbies' from post/PM captcha.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Deaks

thanks for the information, I have used it since you messaged me, it works great!!

I do advise people using GL700Wing Tips and Trick topic if you want this feature!
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

efk

Related to this topic, I think SMF is lacking control over security questions. Example, I want newly registered to answer 3 security questions, and that apply for until user gets 2 posts, from 3-5~15 or even more posts ideal is just 1 question to make it easy to progress.

Illori

SMF already has that feature.

i believe though it is set to the same limit as used on registration.

Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post

efk

My point is global limit to have at least 2 options, so I partially agree with Arantor, new members need to take few minutes to register, and to have hard time when they answer on security questions, but it could be awesome to have an option to control that on global basis.
a10 said he never have spam bots because he is using 3 questions, I'm using 2 questions and sometimes I see bots awaiting approval, but if we set 2 posts to require 3 security questions and after that only 1 security question until reaching expected number of posts to become regular/normal member. That should be core feature.
SMF is wealth with such options, while for example vBulletin users are mostly using boring captcha where you need 9th sense to read what letter or number is behind or is that crosswalk or bus is from Earth at all, or people who made system actually collected it from some other planet.

Quote from: Arantor on July 05, 2020, 12:02:09 PM
I'd personally tell people to just suck it up for the first few posts :P

Arantor

You could solve that with post moderation though...

Kindred

I use 3 questions on registration...   and have not had a single bot post in 3 years. We also use the StopSpammer mod which puts flagged registrations into approval.

We've had a few human spammers get through (especially at the end of life of the questions (as they get catalogued)) registration and 99% got caught by the stopspammer mod. And even then with the 1% that get through both questions and stopsammer, we've had only ONE spammer post in those same 3 years.

So, the same answer as usual applies....    stop them at the door, and you don't have to worry about annoying your users with further "security" on posting.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: