screen width question

Started by Kustomuk, July 05, 2020, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kustomuk

Just a little question,

I`ve got my test boards up and running & one is running RC2.1,  But i cannot for the life of me find where the expand the screen width is, Or has this not yet been implanted into the new forum software.

As in 2.0.17 its normally in themes and i always set it to around 90%,

Like i said maybe a silly question,  but i just cannot seem to find it anywhere in the admin settings.

Arantor

2.1 RC2 is responsive, that is that it adjusts to the screen size you have - and it isn't configurable.

This is a good thing because for forums at 90% width on the sizes of screen these days, I end up splitting them off into their own window or using Stylish/Stylus to override the width back to something readable.

Kustomuk

As in responsive you mean it auto Increases & Decreases to the size of my screen because if so, then thats not what`s happening on my screen,

Attachment below.

Arantor

As in, below that size is adjusts to suit mobile devices, and on larger devices it *doesn't* get bigger because beyond that width it's actually harder for people to read the words.

There's a reason books are not massively wide all the time - it's because humans have a comfortable level where reading an amount of text is comfortable.

Kustomuk

Oh ok,  Well i liked it as it was before tbh so the width could be expanded to whatever you needed,

Thanks for the reply

Arantor

Just because you want that configuration does not mean it is good or recommended.

But I'm sure you'll find more things in 2.1 that you'll hate and wish were the same as in 2.0 - there's a reasonable chance I'm the one responsible for the changes so just assume that I did it (I probably did), and just start building up that resentment and hatred of me right now.

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Mick.

Is not available out of the box in 2.1

There is a mod for that tho https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4223

Arantor

I'm just waiting for the "it shouldn't be a mod, it should be in the core like it used to be" debate again.

Honestly, I'm *this close* to just putting in a PR for all the things I removed, and to remove all the things I added.

Kustomuk

Quote from: Arantor on July 05, 2020, 02:40:48 PM
Just because you want that configuration does not mean it is good or recommended.

But I'm sure you'll find more things in 2.1 that you'll hate and wish were the same as in 2.0 - there's a reasonable chance I'm the one responsible for the changes so just assume that I did it (I probably did), and just start building up that resentment and hatred of me right now.

No i couldn`t do that because you`ve done a great job,  and i totally appreciate all your hard work and commitment to improving what we have at the moment,
It maybe would have been a good option to offer those who liked that option the chance to have it though if they wanted.

But thankyou for helping create a great piece of software your all outstanding.

marcosbr

Arantor.
Você é o melhor e mais sincero. Parabéns!
Translation:
You are the best and most sincere. Congratulations!

Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

Advertisement: