News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem with quotes

Started by mitek, July 09, 2020, 12:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitek

Not really an issue per se BUT an aggravating thing.

Anytime any member quotes a post, there is NEVER a space inserted between the original post and the quote. It just jams it all together, and it just doesn't look right.

Is there any file where I can add a space to the area between the original post and the quoted post so it doesn't all run together like one large text.

I know its a silly request but things like this drive me nuts.

Example

This is the original post

This is the original post
This is quote

No spaces between the two.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Mick.

I would look into theme css file near the top:

/* Some BBC related styles.
------------------------------------------------------- */

/* A quote, perhaps from another post. */
blockquote.bbc_standard_quote, blockquote.bbc_alternate_quote
{
font-size: x-small;
color: #000;
line-height: 1.4em;
background: url(../images/theme/quote.png) 0.1em 0.1em no-repeat;
border-top: 2px solid #99A;
border-bottom: 2px solid #99A;
padding: 1.1em 1.4em;
margin: 0.1em 0 0.3em 0;
overflow: auto;
}

mitek

Quote from: Deaks on July 09, 2020, 01:33:44 PM
what theme are you using?

It does the same in all themes. But note I am using some SMF packs like Advanced editor etc.

Thanks.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

mitek

Quote from: Mick. on July 09, 2020, 04:25:37 PM
I would look into theme css file near the top:

{
margin: 0.1em 0 0.3em 0;
}

Sorry I have no theme.css in any of the normal themes. Is there a theme.css somewhere I am unaware of? Running version 2.0.15?

Thanks.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

Mick.

I meant index.css in default theme css file

Mick.

Uninstall the smfpacks editor mod and see if that fixes it

drewactual

The smfpacks editor is the same one used in 2.1.... ive used it for years, now, and with no issue as this one.

Simply add some margin to the bottom of the quote in css... margin, not padding.  .5em is a good start. 

mitek

Where in the quote code would I add that specifically as there are several sections in index.css for blockquote? In the default template. Should I check te template I am using as the default as well?

Thanks in advance and I am working with the default theme /css/index.css.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

drewactual

Mitek I've been mobile and can't look at your source and do this for you... but i will share the way its done so you're armed with it from here out...

Go to a page with a quote... copy the first line of the response to that quote...

Right click select view source...

Do a search by pasting the response... it will show you in the spurce code where that resides. 

Look for the last closing division prior to the quote... that division is your target.

Open your css.... go to the very bottom... add:

/* my custom edits */

.blockquote {margin-bottom: 1em;}

Replace "blockquote" with whatever that last closing divs name is... its probably block quote, but again I can't see your source from mobile.

Css is like a private in the military- it does the last thing its told to do... adding extra definitions at end will help it take effect of ot is defined, redefined, and refined some more accross often expansive and large css files.  Also, adding your own little section at the end will allow you to revert to a clean version with ease... at the expense of a little load time, yes, but..... the cost of a millisecond is worth it until you iron out your code once and for all.

Antechinus

Yep. Bottom margin on blockquote is the way to go. It's an HTML tag though, not a class, so lose the period in front of the name.

blockquote {margin-bottom: 1em;}

You may also find that if your CSS file defines it the same way that default 2.0.17 defines it, the more specific code used would override the above. Default code is this:

{
margin: 0.1em 0 .3em 0;
}

blockquote.bbc_standard_quote and blockquote.bbc_alternate_quote are more specific than plain blockquote, so will take precedence. If you want to add a simple override at the end of the file, this would work:

{
margin: 0.1em 0 1em 0;
}

@mitek: The main points are look for where it defines blockquote, and then look for margin. Margins go clockwise: top - right - bottom - left, so 0.1 em 0 1em 0 means 0.1em top margin, 0 left and right, and 1em bottom margin.

I do code blocks too. The lack of any space between quotes and code blocks, and the content that follows them, has always pissed me off. It should have been sorted in beta, but at the time people argued that everyone was used to having to throw in a br, and if we added a bottom margin to quotes it would effectively be two br's and that would look funny, so we had to leave it so everyone had to keep throwing in a br. Hey ho.

mitek

Sorry for the slow reply and thanks to all. the last edit worked perfectly and now I have the added <br> (bottom margin) between the original post and the quoted text. Again thanks to everyone. Every reply at least got me in the ballpark.

As an addendum, this is the code I used. All worked but this one seemed to accomplish everything I needed all at once.

{
margin: 0.1em 0 1em 0;
}

KCF Private Forum

Advertisement: