News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Limit Quote Text ?

Started by Sectomy, July 11, 2020, 12:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sectomy

hi,

is there any mod areound (2.0.17) which can strip up the quotes text lines to a certain numbers, i mean like if someone quotes a 30 Lines ! text, it would only show "5 Lines" or as specifified in Admin ?

so it only show quotes for 5 lines of the "real"quote.... maybe with an expand stuff....

if theres an mod already which is working on 2.0.17 would be glad if anyone could direct me to, its hard to find .

thank you in advance

best regards
andi

shadav

I'm not sure about that one....
you could try adding a max height, it's not exactly pretty but does sort of what you are wanting

in your index.css find
blockquote.bbc_standard_quote, blockquote.bbc_alternate_quote
and to it's list before the }
max-height: 50px;
change the size to whatever you want

this will make the quote section only 50px tall and make the content scrollable.....

eh it's a quick fix for the moment until someone comes up with something better

drewactual

you can do this with CSS and present a 'read more' type ability... it's NOT a function (implying js or script help) it's simply displaying a certain height with a cut off point, and a hover function or 'before' type definition.... add a little color and fade (opacity) and it turns out nice...

if you allow nested quotes, though, this can turn into a mess quickly. 

and, i've also learned some users of my forums will 'nit pick' the quote by adding to it- usually in a different color, and respond to multiple points brought on by the prior posters post.... it's annoying, but it happens... doing the css this way will either break them of that habit, or, it'll make their response less likely to be read. 

i need to re-implement this on one of my sites... i had it before and changed it when i went with another color scheme... it is actually pretty nifty- but don't wait for me to give it to you, it's actually pretty simple to implement (proven simple because it was me who drafted it lol!!!)

Advertisement: