Hide Content /specific Boards)

Started by Sectomy, July 18, 2020, 07:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sectomy

Hi,

yes, i know theres already a Mod, but there you have to tag the Posts with a BBCode (which didnt work for me, didnt know why), but
i would need this in another way, i need a Mod where i can Hide Posts from unregistered users, automatically, but not on all Boards (maybe a switch or selection menue, where i can set in which boards it should apply or not apply.

Like: Dont Activate on Board: Announcements, Offtopic
and all other boards like, i.e. Reviews, Previews, Sport Clubs, whatever
the guests could see the Boards, all topics, but if they wanna show the Postings /replies, they only have a text like: Only for Registered Users, please logon / Register

i know theres a way for all boards
have it from a post of arantor

In Subs.php, you'll see this block twice.

Code: [Auswählen]

'validate' => isset($disabled['code']) ? null : create_function('&$tag, &$data, $disabled', '
               global $context;

After the first one just add:

if($context["user"]["is_guest"]) $data = "Hidden!!";

After the second one:

if($context["user"]["is_guest"]) $data[0] = "Hidden!!";

is it possible ?
im running on SMF 2.0.17

thank you in advance

greets

andi

Arantor

There was a mod years ago that did it, it ended up consistently discouraging people from coming to your forum; the forum thrives on having content for people to respond to, hiding it away means search engines don't see it, means people don't find it.

Sectomy

hi,

right now, google finds over 300 Links, and right now the most boards are hidden. I just want to the text inside the Topics to be hidden, not the whole forum or the topics....
so they can see the Titles...but now what is inside....

Doug Heffernan

Is this a paid request Sectomy, or a free one?

Sectomy

Arantor

Quote from: Sectomy on July 18, 2020, 08:35:29 AM
hi,

right now, google finds over 300 Links, and right now the most boards are hidden. I just want to the text inside the Topics to be hidden, not the whole forum or the topics....
so they can see the Titles...but now what is inside....

Such techniques may have worked 15 years ago. Now people just go elsewhere.

Sectomy

ure right.... ill give it up. Thanks anyway, maybe we find another solution.

@rjen

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=610

This mod does exactly what you are looking for . I am using it on 2.0.17.
Use it with care...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Arantor

Nope, that shows the board, but not the topics inside it (just not show the topic content). The mod "Look But No Read" is probably a more accurate comparison but even so, it's *fundamentally a bad idea in terms of the fact it tends to drive people away*.

The *only* use I've seen that doesn't drive people away is to use a board that's shown to non-premium subscribers that will be unlocked once they are paid subscribers, because by they're already on your site and engaging with people.

@rjen

It shows the board AND the topic names. Just as the OP is asking...
Clicking on the topic will prompt the guest to login or register.

AFAIK it is his decision to use it or not...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Arantor

Oh, I just assumed it only did board visibility, rather than doing topic listings without content, that's neat.

And while it is someone's decision to use it or not, I prefer to point out what everything over the last 15 years of participating in forums has taught us...

Advertisement: