Trying to find smf-messages in mysql

Started by pwalter, August 14, 2020, 05:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwalter

I am sorry, but I have working on this for days.  I am 76 and I guess have minimum brain knowledge. My original SMF forum has been working since 2006. 5000+ members. It was hacked and then an upgrade, it works slow, slow slow. I have tried everything I know.  I finally bought new hosting just for the smf to get it away from my main website.  I manged after days to get the 5000 members imported from previous backups. Lot of error from mysql until I got it right.  YEA   Now I want to import the old messages.  they are under  backup_smf_messages in the backup.  BUT I can't find where to import them into the new mysql database.  Strange when I imported the members, all the categories came with them. I can't find that category in the new mysql date base.  Where are the messages stored?  I am ready to pay someone, if I could find someone to get this set up for me.  I have worked days on this. In the past all I had to do was restore a mysql date base and things were fine.  UGH  Here is the forum with 5000 members, all the catgories and no posts     hxxp:hipresurfacingforum.com/ [nonactive]  Could someone possible tell me how to get my posts into the new forum?  Please  Please Please   I would appreciate any help. I am not a programming person, but can to do things.  I would appreciate any help, if possible.  I will pay someone to restore the original forum then lock it. So it is a reference. Then I will use the new one. I don't even have to have all the posts brought in, maybe just the newer ones.  I definite need someone who understands all this better than I do  .Patricia

shadav

in your phpmyadmin
in your old database click on your forums database and then click on the smf_messages
after that page loads, up at the top find the export button, click on that
you don't need to change any of the settings, at the bottom right click on go

this will download the table to your computer

now in your new database click on your forums database and then click on import
click on choose file
select the file that was downloaded and then click go

just curious, is there any reason why you are doing each table individually? And not just exporting the entire forum and importing it?

I'm no expert, but I know my way around, mostly....

if you still have issues....you can message me and set up a temporary login, I'd need access to your old database and your new database
and if you need help with smf settings, would need admin access to the forum(s)

I'm assuming that there's no info on the new forum that you want, correct? just trying to replace/rebuild the old forum and update it to 2.0.17?
Any modifications installed or themes?

pwalter

Hi Thanks for replying.  I have done everything possible with the old forum. I tried uploading one of my backups and I get all kinds of mysql errors. I never had such problems before. No matter which backup I use, it won't accept it - and most were down loaded right from the export of the mysql.  I got the old forum up and running. The admin is fine, but the rest of it is so slow that it hardly ever loads. I don't know what is wrong. My main website is fine. It has been hosting the forum since 2008.  I think I got hacked, then the upgrade came along. Now I can't get it working.  Meanwhile I started a new forum which is a good idea since the old one has been around so long.  The old members asked if I could restore the members and I did. I wanted to only bring in messages from maybe the last 6 months. I looked probably 50 times and could not see the smf_messages. I went in again and found them. I think my eyes and brains had gotten frozen!  I still need to get the old forum actually running right.   I will message you tomorrow after I have taken another fresh look at stuff. Still not sure about the old forum. I can give you all info to access it if you might look at it.  I am willing to pay you.  I will contact you tomorrow.  THANKS for answering my post.  I appreciate it.

shadav

no problem

as for only the past 6 months of posts....that might be a bit trickier.....
would probably still have to import all of it and then in your forum admin go to Maintenance > Forum Maintenance > Topics
and set the
Remove all topics not posted in for
to about 180 days (give or take)
and click on the Any sort of topic.

to remove all topics that haven't been active for the past 6 months

pwalter

I solved my problem. I kept going back further and further with my mysql backups.  Finally I tried one of April 2020 - it loaded and worked right.  I first deleted everything in the table. Then imported it.  Also deleted all files and loaded back up files.  I had done that a number of times, but obviously, whatever was wrong had been there for a long time.  The Cleantalk package was also causing problems.  I found all the cleantalk in the tables and removed them along with file in sources, or wherever it was.  FINALLY, I HAVE THE OLD DISCUSSION GROUP WORKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!  I never had problems with my backups before.  Crazy stuff.  I lost a few months of posts, but with Covid, not much posting was happening.  I have all my old members still registered.   YEA   Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions. Who ever said it would be easy?   Pat

shadav

glad you got it working  :)

yeah I had a somewhat similar issue with my previous host....
while I was diligent in creating backups, I didn't really check them and come to find out that my host was messed up so all of the backups were corrupted and missing items

I feel your pain I had to frankenstein over a years worth of backups to finally mesh together enough to restore my sites

Advertisement: