So when can we expect YaBB 2.6.11 to SMF (anytime soon?)

Started by XHarrison, August 18, 2020, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XHarrison

I tried to convert my 2.4 forum to smf 5 years ago and the thing was broken af...

Now here we are (5 years later) I'm still waiting for a decent converter...  YaBB seems to be in a shambles at the moment the team and so on.

So when can i move to SMF? I'm not starting again.

YABB 2.6.11 >>> SMF 2.0+

Anyone know?

Thanks

XHarrison

Anyone? i won't let this slide.

How much would a converter cost? few $$? as this is a serious matter and i think SMF need to make a stable 2.6.11 conversion script.

XHarrison

hiya mate

Yeah but my host is stuck at PHP 7.3 or 4? can't downgrade to 5.5 (they want money for that)

Just wish the guy who made 2.2 converter can make a 2.6.11 conversion.

Stuck in LIMBO here.

vbgamer45

Yeah you would have to use an older php version as that convertor was built for SMF 1.1 which was not built for PHP 7.3 or even PHP 7.0
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

XHarrison

I understand that.

But most hosts are now upgraded to PHP 7.4 (mine is) they wont downgrade.

And i think a conversion for YaBB 2.6.11 is crucial (Because this is the last known pubic release over a few years)

I tried MY BB (they said the same php 5.5) it doesn't work like that as every host these days have upgraded to 7.4

Just a shame the devs or whoever stopped making converters because YaBB 2.6.11 is like the last one.

Tonyvic

Quote from: XHarrison on August 18, 2020, 06:18:17 PM
hiya mate

Yeah but my host is stuck at PHP 7.3 or 4? can't downgrade to 5.5 (they want money for that)

Ah, if my host charged for that I would say goodbye to them, In my cPanel I can go in steps from PHP 5.1  to 7.2.

XHarrison

Quote from: Tonyvic on August 19, 2020, 05:23:25 AM
Quote from: XHarrison on August 18, 2020, 06:18:17 PM
hiya mate

Ah, if my host charged for that I would say goodbye to them, In my cPanel I can go in steps from PHP 5.1  to 7.2.

No cpanel here barebones FTP lol...

The control panel on the host offers downgrading to 5.5 but they want money (as i'm on a shared host)

I seriously think someone here needs to get a YaBB 2.6.11 converter soon.

Tonyvic

Quote from: XHarrison on August 19, 2020, 07:25:03 AM

No cpanel here barebones FTP lol...

The control panel on the host offers downgrading to 5.5 but they want money (as i'm on a shared host)

I seriously think someone here needs to get a YaBB 2.6.11 converter soon.
I'm also on a shared host and pay £4.80pm, there are cheaper ones out there as well. Have you checked out the Paid Hosts and Hosting board, GreyWebhost is one that offers a choice of PHP versions and seems highly recommended. https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=490462.0

shadav

um...i'm sorry but you need a better host....
I've had free hosts that offer multi-php in the cpanel

being on a shared server has nothing really to do with it, as each account is it's own they just share the resources (disk space, ram, bandwidth, ect) but all settings should be customizable per account...

I host several domains under my account and can set each domain and subdomain to it's own php version (granted this is not a free host, as usually free hosts you can only set the php per account not per domain/subdomain)... which makes me think that whomever you're hosted with just set you up on a subdomain under their account...

XHarrison

But that isn't the answer though.... even if i went to php 5.5? There still isn't a YaBB 2.6.11 Converter.

So i'm asking is someone gonna make one soon that works for PHP 7.4 and YaBB 2.6.11 ?

or this a pipe dream?

PHP Extended Support is a paid service ensuring secure use of outdated PHP versions no longer supported by the PHP community.

Seems they're pulling a fast one here...

I can go back to 7.1/2/3/4 that's it.

I'm with these

https://www.ionos.co.uk/

Have been for the last 10 years.

No problems and dirt cheap

shadav

it's possible...but may need to tempt someone with payment  to be motivated :P

of if you ask nicely, maybe someone will but then it'd be on their free time which could take awhile....

a work around might be to see if you can convert yabb to another forum and then to smf (a pita but in the meanwhile might be the better option)

shadav

eh...i never used their hosting, didn't appeal to me...
I used to use them for domains for probably 15 years but have moved away as their prices kept hiking and yeah they are notorious for charging extra for features that in my opinion really should be standard
highly suggest for you to shop around and move to a new host when your time there is up

XHarrison

Quote from: shadav on August 19, 2020, 01:55:48 PM
it's possible...but may need to tempt someone with payment  to be motivated :P

of if you ask nicely, maybe someone will but then it'd be on their free time which could take awhile....

a work around might be to see if you can convert yabb to another forum and then to smf (a pita but in the meanwhile might be the better option)

Already asked phpbb and my bb = no chance

SMF seems promising as they have had actual converters before 2.1 2.2 etc

vbgamer45

I would get one of those cheap hosting plans for a month copy files and db over then try to convert from there.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

XHarrison

But my forum is 2.6.11

The yabb converter is 2.1/2.2

That's the issue lol

Don't matter if i change php version.

The converter isn't for my version.

Right? or will it just work?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

XHarrison

XHarrison

Not as easy as he mentioned php 5.5

no chance for me.

Guess i'll wait for another 5 years till someone makes a converter lol

vbgamer45

There is always third parties companies but they charge a fee untested gconverters.com

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

shadav

if the php version is the only issue at the moment....
sign up with a free host and upload your files and db there....do the conversion and then transfer those files and db to your site
I know that hostfree.pw allows to change php
I'm pretty sure x10hosting.com also does, but they are currently updating things and I can't access my cpanel to double check
I've used these 2 sites in the past for testing purposes

XHarrison

Nope it's not just php it's also the converter which is outdated.

I'll report back and wait till they have a YaBB 2.6.11 or 2.6.12 Converter (could be a long wait though lol)

Just a shame no one has even come forward to make a converter as it's very important imo.

Thanks anyway guys.

Advertisement: