Fresh SMF Install with 3rd party theme - how to have mods install on it?

Started by 1.1Nerd, August 19, 2020, 06:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.1Nerd

Maybe this is a dummy question but I hope somebody can please enlighten me.

I have boiught a 3rd party theme from SMF tricks and installed  it on a fresh SMF 2.0.17 forum.

Now I would like to go ahead and install mods.

As far as I see it, these mods will get installe to the built in DEFAULT theme template folder - which I am not usig any more. Of course I could perform the edits manually to the 3rd party them folder but this is rather a time consuming work.

So is there a setting or way to make change sso the package parser will alter the 3rd party theme template files?

I was trying to rename this themes template folder to /themes/default but it did not work.

Thanks for any advic eon this!

Arantor

Firstly, don't try to rename or change the default theme folder - this *will* break things.

There are two different situations here: themes that have their own templates and themes that don't.

Themes that don't have their own templates will inherit from the default theme (which is why you need to leave it alone) so mods that install on those will just cleanly be inherited by other themes.

Themes that do have their own templates, if you install the mod *after* the theme is installed, the 2.0 package manager will offer to install it on other themes for you without any hassle (unless it can't find the find/replace code, but then it'll tell you that)

A decent amount of 2.0 mods don't even require theme edits any more because people like me were teaching mod authors how to not make edits in the first place for a number of years...

Advertisement: