Mod to Ban members from Topics?

Started by Altzone, August 23, 2020, 05:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altzone

Is there a mod to ban members from posting in individual topics?
A big problem on my forum is that some users just can't help themselves from contributing to certain topics, and continue to do so even after warned to stop.
But they might be long standing members who are otherwise great contributors in other areas of the forum, so I don't want to ban them entirely from the forum.
Example below, add an option to each post to ban someone with a single click from this topic.
Thanks.

Doug Heffernan

I have not seen such a mod myself. Anyways, is this a paid request or a free one?

Altzone

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 23, 2020, 07:04:05 AMI have not seen such a mod myself. Anyways, is this a paid request or a free one?

I'd be happy to pay for it if someone with the bonafides wants to quote it?
I'm running 2.0.15 here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/

shadav

not that i've seen

but you could set up permissions and revoke their permissions for that board

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: shadav on August 23, 2020, 10:04:45 AM
not that i've seen

The op is asking for banning in individual topics and not boards.

Quote from: Altzone on August 23, 2020, 08:56:33 AM
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 23, 2020, 07:04:05 AMI have not seen such a mod myself. Anyways, is this a paid request or a free one?

I'd be happy to pay for it if someone with the bonafides wants to quote it?
I'm running 2.0.15 here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/

in that case I can develop such a mod for you. Please contact me in private if you would be interested in hiring me.

shadav

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 23, 2020, 11:16:25 AM
not that i've seen

I understand ;) was just suggesting an alternative in the meantime

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: shadav on August 23, 2020, 11:31:13 AM
not that i've seen

I understand ;) was just suggesting an alternative in the meantime

This is not an alternative at all. What you suggested is something completely different from what the OP wants. Just saying.

Arantor

It is an alternative, just not a very close one, though it would get you some of the way there, a bit.

That is what alternative literally means, another course of action that isn't necessarily exact but may have better or worse results.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Arantor on August 23, 2020, 01:03:05 PM
It is an alternative, just not a very close one, though it would get you some of the way there, a bit.

That is what alternative literally means, another course of action that isn't necessarily exact but may have better or worse results.

How can it get you there, even a bit? The users asks specifically to ban members from individual topics and not boards. They are completely 2 different things.

Arantor

Banning from an individual board is an alternative. No-one said it was a great alternative, or a close fit, but it *is* an alternative. As is restricting the permission to reply to topics that aren't the author's own in specific boards. As is specific forms of post moderation in that board for replies, only for specific groups.

Just because it's not a perfect fit implementation doesn't mean it's not an alternative, and it's always worth considering if there are other choices rather than custom dev that might need to be rewritten in the future.

shadav

I wasn't meaning as a replacement to their request

I was just meaning in the meanwhile, until a mod is created, that they could limit access to that board as this seems to be an immediate issue that needs to be dealt with

whereas waiting on someone to create the modification, the said poster will continue to go about causing issues in that thread/board....

I understand from your thinking this is not a good answer as it was not at all what they asked for but I merely was trying to offer an alternative that they could implement in the here and now until said mod is developed.....not sure why this became an issue....

I did not say it was a good alternative...or a must do....just offered advice

and now can we get back to the op's request...and drop this?

Altzone

Quote from: shadav on August 23, 2020, 10:04:45 AMbut you could set up permissions and revoke their permissions for that board

Yeah, better than banning a long term member outright, but it's messy.
Basically I just want to be able to stop a member from getting carried away on some controversial topic for example.

Altzone

in that case I can develop such a mod for you. Please contact me in private if you would be interested in hiring me.

PM sent, thanks.

Kindred

BTW: Alzone ---  you should upgrade to 2.0.17 ASAP.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Altzone

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2020, 10:13:50 AMBTW: Alzone ---  you should upgrade to 2.0.17 ASAP.

I tried, but it failed.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: