when I copy and paste material from websites disappears when I post it

Started by difficulty, August 27, 2020, 09:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

difficulty

I tried to find this in help and also online but couldn't find anything. Please excuse me if this topic is covered elsewhere

I use a Firefox browser with windows 10 and SMF 2.0.17
I downloaded a one click install of SMF in my account at hostmonster onto a sub-domain.
When installing, rather than picking the default slash slash I selected the slashes with the w's from the drop down list
The account came with a free SSL for 90 days.

The problem I am having is that when I copy and paste text from websites on the internet, all but a paragraph or two and sometimes even a line or two or a word or two, disappears when I post it. Even my original text paragraph sometimes disappears along with it.

If I write all original text, and even include links to other sites, it posts just fine. But then if I add just one or two sentences from another site, it is more likely than not to disappear most of the content of the post including original text.

This has all happened more times than I can count over the last couple of days since I uploaded the site.

When I copy and paste the identical text, from the very same website, into another SMF forum I have had for some time, it all shows up perfectly when I post the post.
The account for my other forum does not have an SSL certificate.
Does that have anything to do with it?

Kindred

not sure what you mean by this
...default slash slash I selected the slashes with the w's...

but your problem is usually solved by switching your forum installation to UTF-8
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

difficulty

In my original post here, when I typed http ://  and http ://www.  it said I couldn't post links and so I had to write it out.

difficulty

Quote from: Kindred on August 27, 2020, 10:17:59 AM
not sure what you mean by this
...default slash slash I selected the slashes with the w's...

but your problem is usually solved by switching your forum installation to UTF-8

I saw that earlier but didn't think it applied because there are no odd characters or accents in the text I am copying.
But I justg converted to UTF 8 seems to have fixed it.
But my other forum (which has been updated to 2.0.17) I never converted to UTF-8 and I can copy and paste websites just fine into that one. Weird?

difficulty

Thank you all. I wanted to use it for a day before declaring the problem to be solved. I changed to UTF-8 in my admin>forum maintenance>database>Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters   forum section and selected the "run task now" button, and everything copy and pastes into the forum just fine now, with no dropped text.

Advertisement: