hide post for select group

Started by goldenstudios, August 27, 2020, 01:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenstudios

i use SMF 2.0.17
can one post be hidden from a user group or a single user?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

goldenstudios

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: goldenstudios on August 27, 2020, 01:44:14 PM
i use SMF 2.0.17

Not by default. It will require a custom mod.

goldenstudios

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 27, 2020, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: goldenstudios on August 27, 2020, 01:44:14 PM
i use SMF 2.0.17

Not by default. It will require a custom mod.
mod not alredy?

Arantor

goldenstudios

I would like to hide posts from selected users

Kindred

no, there is no mod for this since the very idea contradicts the base concept of what a forum is for.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

goldenstudios

Kindred

Well... *WHY* are you wanting to "hide posts from selected users"?

remember -- trying to use technical methods to solve social problems is doomed to failure from the start.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Yes but *why*? What are you trying to achieve? (and no, 'hiding from selected users' is not a valid answer)

goldenstudios

because in my forum there are "tricks" for pc and I just want certain groups that can not read all

Arantor

To what end? Why do you want to hide content from members? Do they have to earn it somehow? If so, how?

goldenstudios

a certain group of users can deserve that "" board "" section only if it remains active in the forum with at least 20 posts per week (example)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think this could work https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4013
I'm not saying it's a good idea, but this could work.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

well, you can restrict access to a BOARD by group - just not an individual thread or post.

That's standard functionality with permissions.
Слaва
Украинi

goldenstudios

yes I know this .. but I wanted to know if it was possible for a single post

Arantor

Not really, no, because the system works on topics being in boards, and boards having permissions.

Doing it with a single post guarantees messing with your forum - if there is no way for users to see it, they assume something is wrong; if there is a way for them to earn the right, they'll take the shortest possible route.

The usual answer is 'I want people to reply to have access to this post' on the thinking this will encourage posting. All it does it get people to post 1-word or maybe 1-sentence posts - it's not good post content.

goldenstudios

obviously the posts must have interesting content ahahaha

Arantor

That's just it: if you try to encourage people to write more posts to unlock things, they will write one liners to spend the least effort possible to unlock it.

Advertisement: