News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

seeking advice on how to introduce a link-to-'og:card' translation

Started by drewactual, September 04, 2020, 02:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewactual

I swear- and i know i'm not right in the head- but there was a mod that offered this somewhere but wasn't very popular (and i honestly can't guess why not as it is incredibly useful) and i can't find it anywhere...

the concept is simple in concept but likely not implementation (code)... the idea is to embed a link by either using custom BBC button or bbc command and representing the external link by using it's open graph information- if available.... akin to posting on FB or Twitter, the link is translated into a 'card' offering better insight to the user as what that link contains/offers.

there was a time many pages didn't use OG, but now it seems to be common... I would like to integrate the function on my 2.0.15 and 2.0.17 forums (i'm holding out on the 2.0.15 forum update until 2.1 reaches mature release...) 

what would be the best way, in the opinion of experts here, on how to achieve this- i mean in a general sense...

• I'm thinking a BBC implementation? (I mean a custom button that triggers it in the editor)...
  • I've considered (and actually have a working means) to implement a :hover that shows a sneak peek at the external page, but it's slow to load unless prefetched, and then it's hard on resources... so... that's out.
  • I'm playing with the idea of simply auto embedding it and expecting users to adjust their style of writing to accommodate this feature...
  • I'm playing with the idea of a :hover but instead of using an image of the page, having the :hover modal contain the OG:card....

how would you guys approach this?

caveat/parameter: I can see problems with it if a person just pastes a link (which many browsers alter to hyperlink nowadays without the help of SMF) within text and just wants it to remain that way... however i do this i'm thinking it's best to make it optional for the user (unless i do the :hover thing using same OG info)...

thoughts?  Thanks in advance...

Advertisement: