Microdata/schema markup for SMF

Started by Neoni, September 15, 2020, 03:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neoni

From Moz.com [nofollow]: "Schema.org (often called Schema) is a semantic vocabulary of tags (or microdata) that you can add to your HTML to improve the way search engines read and represent your page in SERPs."

Schema markup is code, or microdata, that are placed on a website to help search engines provide more relevant and useful results to users. Micro data includes hints that help search engines categorize and interpret information that you want to highlight, and then present it in rich snippet form.

For forums https://schema.org/DiscussionForumPosting [nofollow] seems to be the recommended solution from schema.org [nofollow]

How to implement this for SMF forums? Is it too much work or can be implemented easily?

Kindred

it would involve modifying several templates...   some of them would have to be done with conditionals as well.

I don't see any decent return on the major investment of time....

especially since you can't really microtag the CONTENT, only the fixed data (for example, on the link your provided, it says "for a discussionforum"  I would agure NOT --  because almost nothing on a forum actually qualifies as an "article")

Seriously -- those companies which have adopted it have fixed and curated content -- not conversations.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Neoni

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2020, 04:04:00 PM

Seriously -- those companies which have adopted it have fixed and curated content -- not conversations.

The thing is that there are a few names that use these microdata. Like Quora, Stackoverflow and other forums that I can't quote right now. And all these guys are all about conversations.
Here is a discussion about this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7227202/which-schema-org-type-should-be-used-for-a-forum [nofollow]
One suggestion there is to use Article for a topic, and Comment for each of the replies. I would like to see more imputs in this thread for more solutions or suggestions.

Neoni

Maybe JSON-LD markup is easier to implement than Microdata?

Advertisement: