SMF 2.0.17 - "Forever" logins expire after 24 hours after upgrade from 2.0.15

Started by wnff_chief, September 15, 2020, 07:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnff_chief

Upgraded my site from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16 and then to 2.0.17 last week via package manager and ever since then logins are expiring after 24 hours, even when "Forever" login is chosen.  Any assistance is appreciated!

Kindred

Try Changing the cookie name. This will cause everyone to require a new login, but might resolve the issue going forward
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wnff_chief

Quote from: Kindred on September 16, 2020, 09:19:36 AM
Try Changing the cookie name. This will cause everyone to require a new login, but might resolve the issue going forward

Will try that now and report back tomorrow, thanks!

wnff_chief

Quote from: Kindred on September 16, 2020, 09:19:36 AM

Didn't work unfortunately.  Seems like the cookie/session is expiring at some specific time because it hasn't actually been 24 hours since i logged in.  Others report having to log in again this morning.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wnff_chief

Quote from: Kindred on September 17, 2020, 12:49:41 PM
URL?

mods installed?

https://www.wnff.net/

mods:
Ignore User Button 1.0
SMF Multi Quote 1.1.3
Inline Hover Spoiler 1.5
Remove images from quotes    1.4
Print-Page Permission    1.0.1
Started By Column    1.4
View Single Post    2.0.9
Remove Reply Prefix    1.0
Simple Audio Video Embedder    4.0.2

and every SMF update package from 2.0.6 through 2.0.17

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

drewactual

did your upgrade coincide or result as a server upgrade of php?

IF you are running a newer version of PHP, there are some pretty decent opportunities for this to happen... it could be the GC_probability setting, or the session time out- or... several other things at the server level... if you're using memcached or something other than files, that could impact this too...

wnff_chief

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 17, 2020, 05:07:34 PM
Which theme are you using?

It's a customized copy of the Core theme (just replaced graphical assets)

Quote from: drewactual on September 17, 2020, 05:41:16 PM
did your upgrade coincide or result as a server upgrade of php?

IF you are running a newer version of PHP, there are some pretty decent opportunities for this to happen... it could be the GC_probability setting, or the session time out- or... several other things at the server level... if you're using memcached or something other than files, that could impact this too...

PHP 5.4 and last update was May 5th, so I don't believe that's the issue (unless it's specifically related to the SMF updates and older versions of PHP).  SMF 2.0.16 and 2.0.17 updates were installed last week and the issue began immediately for me.  Took a few days for users to begin reporting it but I believe they were impacted immediately as well.

Kindred

yes. IIRC, With 2.0.16, I believe users were required to log in again, because of a change to the security....   however, that should have resolved itself after one login.

However, since you are using the Core theme.... I bet that's your problem.  You did not apply the patch updates into the core theme files....
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

How many more of you are going to ask a question that 1) you could have verified the answer for yourself, 2) could have noted that wasn't relevant after 2.0.16 included the generic all-theme fix and 3) doesn't actually fit the symptoms anyway? (the 2.0.14 login prevents login entirely when it manifests, not merely preserves it for 24 hours)

live627

Arantor

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on September 18, 2020, 03:44:27 PM
3) doesn't actually fit the symptoms anyway? (the 2.0.14 login prevents login entirely when it manifests, not merely preserves it for 24 hours)

^ This.  I actually posted a reply about login session check just before going out, then realized was answering the wrong question and deleted it.  I've seen this before, but don't remember what caused it.  Will have to dig through my notes.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

SOoL:  Yeah, this reminds me of a weird one of yours...  Was this the one where changing the default cookie expiration length made it start working???  Made no sense, but you said it worked???
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

Can't remember which forum it was.  Sadly, I have over 3 million files on my computer, and my memory is shot, so it's not easy to find anything.  On my own forums and a number of client forums, I've removed the cookielength option and hard coded it to -1 in header login and login template, but don't know if that would fix OP's problem.

That's odd, theme isn't Core, looks like modded Curve, but copyright shows SMF 2.0, should be 2.0.17.  Did .16 & .17 upgrades install without errors?

- R. Waters

wnff_chief

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 18, 2020, 10:44:16 PM
That's odd, theme isn't Core, looks like modded Curve, but copyright shows SMF 2.0, should be 2.0.17.  Did .16 & .17 upgrades install without errors?

Apologies, I was mistaken.  2.0 Curve is what I adapted my theme from.  And yes .16 and .17 installed without errors once I relaxed my file permissions.

wnff_chief

Tried rolling back to 2.0.16 since neither of the issues addressed in 2.0.17 impact my current configuration.  Problem still persists.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

EDIT - possible clue - the cookie name somehow got returned to the old/original name that was used before all this began.  Or I'm going crazy.  Just changed it again to be sure and will report back tomorrow (both on whether it helped and whether I'm going crazy :P )

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: