News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Minimum post count board not visible to random qualified members

Started by khigh, September 18, 2020, 12:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khigh

Hi all!

Kind of a weird anomaly. I have a board that requires 5 posts to access. I've used this feature successfully on other forums, and seemingly so on this one.

It's a pretty minor board, only 11 topics in two years, but a recent development has made it important to access. Now I'm finding out that multiple qualified people can't access it, even given a link. Up to five people so far, and I've confirmed at least three of them are logged in. All have post counts well into the three figures.

It's completely random. And it's allowing new people. One new member used his fifth post to say he couldn't see it, and his next post was in it.

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Thanks for looking!

Kindred

it's not random. I guarantee that there is a clear logic behind it...   and I'm betting it has to do with usergroups and permissions.

We could go back and forth with all sorts of questions.   However, I'd bet that 60 seconds viewing by someone who understands how groups and permissions interact would clear it up....

If you're willing, I actually have a bit of free time today and I'll take a look.
PM me your URL and an admin login/password (you should remove it or downgrade it after I'm done)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

You probably missed to give access to membergroups. Go to Admin/Member/Membergroups.../Edit Membergroups/
And now check Post count based groups first, every membergroup with more than 5 posts must have access ticked to that board;
Then go to the Regular groups which could be given if its your case.

Your problem is that you gave access only to that post based membergroup with 5 posts, while others are empty.
Easiest way to check it is go to the Admin/Forum/Boards.../Modify Boards/ and click on desired board. See who can access it. If this is somehow broken, then its some bug, but 99% is your lack of control over boards, or you do not understand how does the system work. You don't need another person to fix this for you, it is very simple.
Try yourself and let us know :)

Unless there is some known bug related with this, I don't see any reason why SMF core people would bother visiting and changing this for you instead of yourself.

KittyGalore

Quote from: Kindred on September 18, 2020, 01:33:39 PM
it's not random. I guarantee that there is a clear logic behind it...   and I'm betting it has to do with usergroups and permissions.

We could go back and forth with all sorts of questions.   However, I'd bet that 60 seconds viewing by someone who understands how groups and permissions interact would clear it up....

If you're willing, I actually have a bit of free time today and I'll take a look.
PM me your URL and an admin login/password (you should remove it or downgrade it after I'm done)
Let us know what the issue was. :)
SMF Curve 2.0x

khigh

OK Got it - thanks.

I was flying a little blind as all this came up while I was traveling, and with my limited skill set , I don't DARE hit admin on an otherwise fully functioning forum on my phone. It SEEMED so random, but sure enough, it was "four star" post count users who were excluded.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement: