News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Limited Guest Access

Started by nidec, September 18, 2020, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nidec

Hi..
Is there a way I can restrict how many pages a guest can visit before he has to register or login?
I don't want to stop them having a look/preview but would like them to actually sign up.
My site is NotTheNoobs.com, runs on v2.0.15 with Cleantek theme

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: nidec on September 18, 2020, 05:07:51 PM
Hi..
Is there a way I can restrict how many pages a guest can visit before he has to register or login?
I don't want to stop them having a look/preview but would like them to actually sign up.
My site is NotTheNoobs.com, runs on v2.0.15 with Cleantek theme

Have a look at my mod. It does just that.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4169

Kindred

I will note -- from a user perspective. Any site that does this?   I leave and never come back --- or use a proxy.

forcing people to register just to read never works well.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

One of my guys uses that mod, it's incredibly annoying. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

efk

I think Quora site is using something similar and I hate that site.

nidec

Quote from: Kindred on September 18, 2020, 05:50:29 PM
I will note -- from a user perspective. Any site that does this?   I leave and never come back --- or use a proxy.

I dont want to stop them looking, just restrict how much to encourage more to join

Sir Osis of Liver

The mod will do that, but it will drive people away.  Better to give guests access to some public boards, make the rest for members only.

- R. Waters

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Kindred on September 18, 2020, 05:50:29 PM

Quite a few newspaper websites here in the UK now have it so that you can only view a small number of articles before you have to register/subscribe. Some sites you have to pay to subscribe

Sir Osis of Liver

You can usually bypass news site paywalls by disabling javascript.  There's a Firefox plugin that adds a toolbar toggle that does this easily.

- R. Waters

nidec

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 19, 2020, 04:53:09 PM
Better to give guests access to some public boards, make the rest for members only.
Hadn't thought of that, I can do that without a mod  I think.

Thank you.

Kindred

Also, do you know what I do when a news site does that to me?

I find the news story on another site.....
Слaва
Украинi

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 19, 2020, 04:53:09 PMBetter to give guests access to some public boards, make the rest for members only.

For any board that has guest access you'll want to either have more moderators than a normal board and/or have the board where every post goes into the mod queue

Kindred

guest access to READ is normal...  Guest access to POST is unusual and generally should probably be avoided unless one has the time to spend moderating 24/7
Слaва
Украинi

hungarianguy

Quote from: Kindred on September 20, 2020, 06:03:51 PM
Also, do you know what I do when a news site does that to me?

I find the news story on another site.....

I do the same too. You can not force guests to participate in your forum. Doing that is the fastest way to loose potential new members.

Advertisement: