Moved forum to a .club domain, password recover mails don't get delivered

Started by RedPanda2013, September 22, 2020, 09:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hi guys,

I just moved my SMF to a new domain, which is a .club extension.

Many forum members of course have forgot their password and now (I tried myself too with a dummy account) mails don't get delivered, I even checked my spam folder.

Is it the .club the issue or could be my hosting provider? I haven't changed hosting, same company, same server, just a different domain.

Thank you

Looking

Just to verify, make sure all is setup correctly here. This may be of help to you: repair settings. Understanding where it goes and what it does: What is repair_settings.php?

Then, check your server mail setup or mail logs if you have access. Your host should be able to help you with that.

Kindred

hmmm.....   I know that SMF did have an issue with domains beyond the standard TLD...   I thought it was fixed, but maybe not?

Dev type folks? Do we properly handle FLDs in the email processing?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Looking on September 22, 2020, 09:21:37 AM
Just to verify, make sure all is setup correctly here. This may be of help to you: repair settings. Understanding where it goes and what it does: What is repair_settings.php?

Then, check your server mail setup or mail logs if you have access. Your host should be able to help you with that.

Hi, yes I used repair_settings immediately.

Not sure about how to check my mail server though.

Until just before the migration from a .it (italian) domain to this .club, everything was working fine.

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kindred on September 22, 2020, 09:22:32 AM
hmmm.....   I know that SMF did have an issue with domains beyond the standard TLD...   I thought it was fixed, but maybe not?

Dev type folks? Do we properly handle FLDs in the email processing?

ohh nooo, please tell me there is a way to fix it  :'(

We have spent thousands in order to brand this new .club address.

RedPanda2013

I think the mail get sent but the local spam kills them...I contacted Namecheap Hosting and they had no clue.

vbgamer45

In screenshot. * 23-09-2020 12-22-12 AM.jpg   The From line has the title but no from email address in the line

Is your domain "tradingclub.club" ?
You have no spf record and bunch of other issues https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/tradingclub.club/
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

RedPanda2013

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 22, 2020, 10:31:28 AM
In screenshot. * 23-09-2020 12-22-12 AM.jpg   The From line has the title but no from email address in the line

Is your domain "tradingclub.club" ?
You have no spf record and bunch of other issues https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/tradingclub.club/

The new domain is:

tradingschool.club

I have no idea what spf record is  :-[

Also, cannot remember where is the part in the forum where I can edit the admin email address...you know where I used to receivemail notification about new member registrations...which also worked till yesterday with the previous domain.

Thank you

vbgamer45

Looks like a web hosting issue. The error message says relay not permitted. I am not sure if namecheap requires smtp credentials for their hosting.
https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/tradingschool.club
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

RedPanda2013

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 22, 2020, 11:11:29 AM
Looks like a web hosting issue. The error message says relay not permitted. I am not sure if namecheap requires smtp credentials for their hosting.

The problem is that I tried twice asking them for help and they kept me asking which emails was I sending from...

:-\ I don't even know what to tell them.

But one thing is driving me crazy: until yesterday I got email from the forum about new members registrations....how do I change THAT email adress? (not mine...the FROM email address)??

Thank you

vbgamer45

That's under Server Settings

The email you want to give your host and new member registrations were it is coming from.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

RedPanda2013

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 22, 2020, 11:11:29 AM

by the way, I just checked that same website/tool with my previous domain and results are similar, so I don't think that's the issue.

RedPanda2013

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 22, 2020, 11:26:27 AM
That's under Server Settings

The email you want to give your host and new member registrations were it is coming from.

aha! damn it...I kept looking everywhere but didn't notice it because it doesn't save the address there...I just updated it...and as soon the page reloaded, it went blank again. Is that normal?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

RedPanda2013

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 22, 2020, 11:36:45 AM
Not normal. Do you have caching enabled under server settings?

I left it as default, never touched it....but guess what??? I opened it again now and the new email was there.
I have no idea what's going on but most of all, I got the mail now after I tried again to recover the password for my dummy account and WORKED!

Maybe that was the issue: the database had still the previous email address which somehow triggered the cPanel spam filters because maybe didn't like two different domains.

All I have to do now is wait to see if all other members receive the mails as well.

Thank you

RedPanda2013

Yes, problem solved!!!

So it was the webmaster mail, not the .club domain.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement: