Problem with font size in SMF forum (I'm not admin)

Started by manooooh, September 22, 2020, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manooooh

Hello all, this is my first thread so apologies if I post in a wrong place

Every time I log in as a user on forum ht tps://foro.rinconmatematico.com/index.php, the font size of all places (except the header) gets enormously smaller. I checked the zoom of the page and it's at 100%. I also tried from different browsers (Chrome and Edge) and even on mobile and the same thing always happens.

I have asked the administrators but they cannot replicate the problem and I don't think any user either. The thread (in Spanish, includes photos) is: htt ps://foro.rinconmatematico.com/index.php?topic=113962.0

I'm not really sure when it started to happen to me, but I think it was when I wanted to send a private message and when it refreshed it got smaller, but I don't remember.

Can anybody help me, please? I have to zoom 150% so that the size is similar to the original, although the header is very large and is annoying.

The problem occurs only on that forum. I'm not an admin on that site. If I visit the site without logging in, I have no problem.

Thanks!

P.S. Since I'm new I can't post links so remove the space in "https".

Kindred

not sure there's a lot we can do about it...

it seems fine to me if I visit the site -- and without seeing the issue, we can't help debug it.

Did you try clearing your cache?  (go to the site, pres Ctrl-F5)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dzonny

Hey there and welcome to SMF community.

That must be specific to user itself, maybe there's something that's different for that account, but not really sure what.
Have you tried to register/login with another account on that forum and see if there's any difference?

I assume that you can't send a login info for the account, so there's not much that we can say.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

manooooh

Thanks for your huge help!!

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 22, 2020, 05:55:46 PM
Try different browser?

I've tried it and the same happens. Read the full message.

Quote from: Kindred on September 22, 2020, 05:02:17 PM
Did you try clearing your cache?  (go to the site, pres Ctrl-F5)

Yes, have done it several times and there are no changes.

Quote from: Dzonny on September 22, 2020, 05:03:03 PM
That must be specific to user itself, maybe there's something that's different for that account, but not really sure what.
Have you tried to register/login with another account on that forum and see if there's any difference?

I assume that you can't send a login info for the account, so there's not much that we can say.

That's true, unfortunately.

NEWS: I just remembered that the admins have put the option for the users to choose between an old theme and the new theme since recently the site was remodeled. When I change the theme, font size returns to normal, but when I pick the new style then it reduces. The following image was taken 10 minutes ago (scroll horizontally):

Can you see the font size reduction?

I presume that I have problems with the new theme, but no other user has the same thing. What should I do to fix it?

Dzonny

Again, there's not much we can do unless we reproduce the problem, which we can't in this case. The best would be if you can send your login details to us (via pm of course) so we can take a quick look.

m4z

You could try using the "Inspector" every modern browser has built in to find the source of the problem (but you need a basic understanding of at least CSS to do that).
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

manooooh

How can I attach you the log from user's view? I'm not an admin.

Dzonny

Quote from: manooooh on September 23, 2020, 04:45:00 PM
How can I attach you the log from user's view? I'm not an admin.
We don't need log. What m4z suggested is to use Inspector tool within your browser, so you can check exact css class which is causing the font to be different. That way we could potentially track the issue and see what's going on with that specific class.
You can read more about that, for example:
https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/css

manooooh

Quote from: Dzonny on September 24, 2020, 02:37:37 AM
We don't need log. What m4z suggested is to use Inspector tool within your browser, so you can check exact css class which is causing the font to be different. That way we could potentially track the issue and see what's going on with that specific class.
You can read more about that, for example:
https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/css [nofollow]

Thanks for the useful link. I copy to you the Style tab of a "post" class (the body of a typical message of the forum) of old and new styles:

Old "Style" theme:

font: 78%/130% "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;
color: #000;
overflow: auto;
line-height: 1.4em;
padding: 0.1em 0;
margin-top: 0.5em;
clear: right;

New "Style" theme (here is the problem):

-webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent;
--blue: #007bff;
--indigo: #6610f2;
--purple: #6f42c1;
--pink: #e83e8c;
--red: #dc3545;
--orange: #fd7e14;
--yellow: #ffc107;
--green: #28a745;
--teal: #20c997;
--cyan: #17a2b8;
--white: #fff;
--gray: #6c757d;
--gray-dark: #343a40;
--primary: #007bff;
--secondary: #6c757d;
--success: #28a745;
--info: #17a2b8;
--warning: #ffc107;
--danger: #dc3545;
--light: #f8f9fa;
--dark: #343a40;
--breakpoint-xs: 0;
--breakpoint-sm: 576px;
--breakpoint-md: 768px;
--breakpoint-lg: 992px;
--breakpoint-xl: 1200px;
--font-family-sans-serif: -apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,"Helvetica Neue",Arial,"Noto Sans",sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol","Noto Color Emoji";
--font-family-monospace: SFMono-Regular,Menlo,Monaco,Consolas,"Liberation Mono","Courier New",monospace;
text-align: left;
font: 80%/130% Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 80%;
font-weight: 400;
color: #000;
box-sizing: border-box;
overflow: auto;
line-height: 1.4em;
padding: .1em 0;
margin-top: .5em;
clear: right;

I tested changing the "font: 80%/130%" to e.g. "font: 120%/130%" and the font size is bigger.

Do you need more information? How can we save the changes?

marcosbr

I always use 110% X 150% on "my" forums.
But only admin can change the theme CSS.  to "all users"
Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

manooooh

Quote from: marcosbr on September 24, 2020, 08:30:56 PM
But only admin can change the theme CSS.  to "all users"

Thanks for the support. However this problem only occurs to my settings. No other forum user has reported the same problem that I have. It's weird :-\.

Can anyone tell me if the changes were made by me not intentionally? If so, can you confirm if admins are the only ones that can reverse this change?

marcosbr

Only admin can change the configuration. It is not an SMF error!
Clear your router's cache! (if there is)

manooooh

Quote from: marcosbr on September 25, 2020, 02:11:09 PM
Only admin can change the configuration. It is not an SMF error!

Why would an admin change my CSS configuration? They are not bad people :laugh:.

Quote from: marcosbr on September 25, 2020, 02:11:09 PM
Clear your router's cache! (if there is)

That would be a good idea but I connected within another router and the problem persists.

m4z

I can't reproduce the problem either, what operating system and version are you using? Maybe you are missing all the fonts stated in the CSS and your browser is falling back on another font that is just much smaller in general?

As a workaround, you could globally increase the minimum font size in your browser ("customize"), but (from personal experience) that tends to cause problems on many sites.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

manooooh

Quote from: m4z on September 25, 2020, 04:35:29 PM
I can't reproduce the problem either, what operating system and version are you using? Maybe you are missing all the fonts stated in the CSS and your browser is falling back on another font that is just much smaller in general?

I am using Windows 10 Home Single Language 10.0.18363 compilation 18363.

As I said befire, when I log as user using Android on mobile the font of the new theme is also reduced. This is a multi-platform problem and I don't know why.

marcosbr

I didn't say "he" changed anything. ;D
But only he can help you!
Nobody assists the administration of a forum without permission!
There he can even change your profile, preferences, etc ...
Talk to him, open another account, etc ...

Kindred

Marco...   chillax.

Something is funky with the forum that Manooooh visits.
There is no way (that I know) that one user is getting a different content delivery from EVERYONE else...

So, there is something very strange going on.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

would it possibly help if the user saved the page with the issue as html and attached it to their next post? then someone could examine the page to determine what if anything can be done or suggested to the site admin.

manooooh

As you have mentioned, this problem only occur to me. This occur when I sign in to the forum, when I sign out there are no problems.

Per request of Illori, I attach you "Rincón Matemático - Foros de matemática y ciencia.html" which is the save of ht tps://foro.rinconmatematico.com/index.php when I signed in:

ht tps://pastebin.com/fuietyhy (first part)

ht tps://pastebin.com/xzAJgVb8 (second part)

ht tps://pastebin.com/Nb2Jx7N1 (third part)

I hope it helps. If not let me know if you need any other information.

P.S. Delete the space between "https".

Advertisement: