News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems accessing admin area

Started by ArMaP, October 10, 2020, 11:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArMaP

Good afternoon. :)

I have been having a problem in a forum I'm an administrator: whenever I need to go to the admin area the forum does what it's supposed to do and asks me to confirm my password. The problem is that it never accepts it until I log off and log in again, and then only on the second attempt.

It's not that big of a problem, as I really can access the admin area, but it would be better if I hadn't to do all that work, obviously. :)

The forum is at version 2.0.17 and the problem appears to happen in all themes installed.

Thanks in advance. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do you have the password saved in the browser, or do you use a password manager?
Have you tried if this happens on a different browser?
Do you get any errors in the forum's error log when this happens?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ArMaP

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 10, 2020, 12:13:28 PM
Do you have the password saved in the browser, or do you use a password manager?
No, I always type my passwords.

QuoteHave you tried if this happens on a different browser?
Yes, and it does happen.

QuoteDo you get any errors in the forum's error log when this happens?
Yes, I get an "Administration login attempt!" error when I try to get to the admin area and a "Password incorrect" when I try to log in after logging out. The second attempt at logging in works.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Alright, thanks - that at least confirms that it's not a password manager problem as that is something I have seen happen before.
Are you using the default theme, and if not does changing to the default theme have any effect on how it works?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ArMaP

We have some themes installed but I always use the default.
I tried with the other themes and the result was the same.

shawnb61

What is the primary language used?  Are non-ascii characters used th the password?

I wonder if it's related to this:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571384.0
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

ArMaP

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 10, 2020, 02:13:56 PM
What is the primary language used?  Are non-ascii characters used th the password?
English. The characters in the password are ASCII extended characters, as some have codes above 127.

Changing the password to use only basic ASCII characters appears to solve the problem, which is a shame, as extended ASCII characters are used in many countries and help create stronger passwords.

Now I have to wait until the forum asks me for password confirmation to see if this really works.

shawnb61

The fix noted here works if your forum is utf8:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571082.msg4042818#msg4042818

You will need to reverse this change before the next patch.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

ArMaP

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 10, 2020, 02:54:58 PM
The fix noted here works if your forum is utf8:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571082.msg4042818#msg4042818

You will need to reverse this change before the next patch.
Thanks, I'll try that, as the forum is in utf8. :)

ArMaP

It worked, shawnb61. :)

Now I only need to remember to revert back to the original before updating the forum software.

Advertisement: