News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to change server name??

Started by Audiolee, October 16, 2020, 01:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audiolee

I have managed to install smf 2.1.7 on a Window 10 PC with XAMPP 3.2.4.

I placed the smf folder inside the htdocs folder in the XAMPP folder.

During installation, I didn't know the name of my forum yet so, I type in "localhost" as my servername.

Everything works OK as I add in the boards and themes. 

localhost mode

I just went live and to my dismay, when accessing my forum outside my network, I can only receive the texts but not the images and the formatting. 

Live Web Access View

Also clicking on the links, return an "Unable to load" error , the address indicated at  the top of the browser is "localhost" though I am browsing the forum via internet.

I believe I need to change the server name back to my domain name in order to make it work but how do I edit?   Do I install the install.php again and run it?  Would that destroy all the work I had done and reset the forum?

Please suggest what I should do.   Many thanks!

(Audio)

Audiolee

I have managed to install smf 2.1.7 on a Window 10 PC with XAMPP 3.2.4.

I placed the smf folder inside the htdocs folder in the XAMPP folder.

During installation, I didn't know the name of my forum yet so, I type in "localhost" as my servername.

Everything works OK as I add in the boards and themes. 

localhost mode

I just went live and to my dismay, when accessing my forum outside my network, I can only receive the texts but not the images and the formatting. 

Live Web Access View

Also clicking on the links, return an "Unable to load" error , the address indicated at  the top of the browser is "localhost" though I am browsing the forum via internet.

I believe I need to change the server name back to my domain name in order to make it work but how do I edit?   Do I install the install.php again and run it?  Would that destroy all the work I had done and reset the forum?

Please suggest what I should do.   Many thanks!

(Audio)

Arantor

Well, hosting a forum in your own computer is usually a bad idea since it requires you opening up your network to the internet, normally something you only do on a setup designed with that in mind.

Changing the domain name requires buying one, directing it to whatever server is hosting it and then configuring it.

m4z

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Arantor

Kindred

topics merged.

Please do not double post the same question.
(other thread was also in the wrong board anyway)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: