A forum member can only see two boards

Started by beckzy, October 17, 2020, 08:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckzy

Since upgrading to SMF 2.1 RC3, a forum member has reported to me that they can only see two boards out of all of the ones that they have permission to view. No one else has reported this to me, just this one member. Please see the attached image and advise me of any possible solution. Thanks!

beckzy

I'm not sure if it's related, or whether it's coincidental, but he is the only member of his membergroup. He should be able to see all boards, as he did on SMF 2.0.17, but he can only see the two that are in the image I attached.

Edit: All 4 members of another membergroup have reported the same issue. So it seems to be membergroup related.

SychO

Check the board permissions for that member group for the rest of the boards
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

beckzy

Quote from: SychO on October 17, 2020, 09:55:12 AM
Check the board permissions for that member group for the rest of the boards

They're still permitted to view them. I didn't change any permissions I just upgraded to SMF 2.1 RC3.

Arantor

I'd say check the reports as well but I don't know if the board access rewrite was also propagated to the reports.

What did you upgrade from?

beckzy

Quote from: Arantor on October 17, 2020, 10:00:54 AM
I'd say check the reports as well but I don't know if the board access rewrite was also propagated to the reports.

What did you upgrade from?

beckzy

Okay I've found the problem - when upgrading to 2.1 all membergroups that have the "Manage boards and categories" checked will face this problem after the upgrade. I resolved it by restoring my forum from a backup (back to 2.0.17) , then unchecking "Manage boards and categories" for all membergroups, then upgrading, then rechecking "Manage boards and categories" for the membergroups. I guess this needs to be fixed for the 2.1 Final?

shawnb61

Seems legit... 

I haven't reproduced it yet, but logged this to make sure it didn't get lost:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/6302

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

beckzy

I've had reports of this happening again. So maybe it's not an upgrader issue after all. It is however an issue with "Manage boards and categories" because unselecting that permission for membergroups fixes the issue, and selecting it again brings it back. Does anyone have any idea why "Manage boards and categories" is causing the group members to view limited boards? Help with this would be massively appreciated.

shawnb61

I've been trying, & cannot reproduce this...  With or without an upgrade. 

Under Admin | Boards and Categories | Settings, does the list of groups allowed to manage boards & categories look correct? 

Is the option to deny access based on membergroups checked?

If you haven't yet, I'd check all the error logs, SMF, apache...

I'd also consider running some of the forum maint routines - clearing out the cache, finding/repairing errors. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

Question: Do these membergroups with this permission have access to all boards?  Or only a subset each?

The reason for the question...  In the past, folks may have had access to board management, but not for all boards.  This really caused issues - e.g., sometimes they couldn't see the boards they just created...  How could you say you could manage boards, but not see some of them?  One change in 2.1 was a simplification of the permissions to perform board management, specifically, if you have that permission, by definition, you must have access to all boards.  One thing the upgrader now does to enforce this is remove board management from individuals who don't have access to all boards.  This should be easily remedied by granting them access.  Just be aware that doing so gives them access to all boards.  Just a hunch, but I am wondering if you're going back & forth a bit by trying to restrict board access to those membergroups, after granting board management to them?

beckzy

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 17, 2020, 07:44:29 PM
Under Admin | Boards and Categories | Settings, does the list of groups allowed to manage boards & categories look correct? 
Yeah they're all checked correctly.

Is the option to deny access based on membergroups checked?
That option wasn't checked, should it have been?

If you haven't yet, I'd check all the error logs, SMF, apache...
I'll do that when I log into my laptop.

I'd also consider running some of the forum maint routines - clearing out the cache, finding/repairing errors.
I'll do that right away!

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 18, 2020, 02:00:30 AM
Question: Do these membergroups with this permission have access to all boards?  Or only a subset each?

The reason for the question...  In the past, folks may have had access to board management, but not for all boards.  This really caused issues - e.g., sometimes they couldn't see the boards they just created...  How could you say you could manage boards, but not see some of them?  One change in 2.1 was a simplification of the permissions to perform board management, specifically, if you have that permission, by definition, you must have access to all boards.  One thing the upgrader now does to enforce this is remove board management from individuals who don't have access to all boards.  This should be easily remedied by granting them access.  Just be aware that doing so gives them access to all boards.  Just a hunch, but I am wondering if you're going back & forth a bit by trying to restrict board access to those membergroups, after granting board management to them?
They're alternative membergroups for admins granting certain admin permissions. They have access to all boards, and the only permission they all have in common is Manage boards and categories"

Illori

@shawnb61 this has been reported before, take a look here https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569994.0

i am not sure if this made it into a bug or not.

a11

Click on the Admin Panel / Categories / Change to any forum link and check the Allowed Groups section. The same thing had happened to me before in version 2.1. Even normal members couldn't see some parts. I noticed after I switched from 2.0 to 2.1. I checked the places in the change section where I said in the Admin Panel and I fixed it by doing this in every forum. I think there is such a problem in the transition to 2.1 or 2.1 itself ..

I write and send from Google Translate, I apologize for typos.

shawnb61

I think I have a workaround...
- Add an entry in the settings table for a variable called 'board_manager_groups' - blank is fine for the value
- Clear your cache
- Under Admin | Forum | Boards & categories | Settings, check the boxes for membergroups that can manage boards & categories
- Press SAVE

Let me know if this works...

beckzy

Quote from: shawnb61 on October 19, 2020, 01:14:00 AM
I think I have a workaround...
- Add an entry in the settings table for a variable called 'board_manager_groups' - blank is fine for the value
- Clear your cache
- Under Admin | Forum | Boards & categories | Settings, check the boxes for membergroups that can manage boards & categories
- Press SAVE

Let me know if this works...

Since I cleared cache and checked the option to deny access based on membergroups it seems to be fixed! The issue hasn't arisen for two days now.

Advertisement: