Forum says username "Staff" is registered but it isn't?

Started by RedPanda2013, October 18, 2020, 04:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hello,

I am trying to register (on my forum) a new member with username: Staff

But the forum doesn't let me, displaying me a message that another user already exists with such username.

I double checked and there isn't anyone with that, although I was using it on my "display name" (not the username) until yesterday, then I changed it.

Is it a reserved name? I never added anything to the reserved names. Thank you for any help.

RedPanda2013

oh this is so odd.

I also had a group named "Staff"

I just edited that Group in "Staff2" trying to see if that was the issue and the registration of the new member "Staff" immediately worked.

I guess SMF mixes Group names and usernames...

Now I also changed back the Group name from "Staff2" to "Staff", I was expecting an error and instead Group name changed without errors. Weird.

shadav

I see you were able to register

I was going to suggest to check your reserved names, I know I put staff as a reserved name so some joker doesn't try to register with it

in your admin under members go to registration then go to set reserved names

that is definitely odd about the group name....doesn't sound right might need to fix something there....they shouldn't conflict....

Arantor

You can't register a name if a) the name is on reserved words, or b) it is either a current username OR display name, or c) it is an exact match to a group name to stop people trying to register something that looks official but isn't.

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Arantor on October 18, 2020, 07:22:17 AM
You can't register a name if a) the name is on reserved words, or b) it is either a current username OR display name, or c) it is an exact match to a group name to stop people trying to register something that looks official but isn't.

There you go! It was C in my case.

Problem solved, thank you.

shadav

hm well ya learn something new every day....I guess that makes sense....

Advertisement: