News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Issue with membergroup image

Started by RedPanda2013, October 18, 2020, 07:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kindred on October 20, 2020, 03:33:43 PM
You have not answered any of my questions except the list of mods.

yes I did, I edited the post above, maybe you were too quick.

1 yes
2 yes
3 that's right
4 no, if I remove a member from the VIP group, then I add that member again to the VIP group then the VIP badge will be displayed.

No other forum software has ever been used. I assign each of them by SMF admin.

RedPanda2013

you know, maybe to make things easier, I should just create a copy of the forum and hand you over login and password, then I will copy the settings on my other forum.

what do you guys think?

Thank you

Kindred

From your screen shot, it looks like you only have 2 groups with a badge. (yes?)

you have 479 members of the Club group and one in the Degiro group.

If some of the Club members are not displaying the VIP badge that you show in your screen shot -- what badge is displaying for them?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kindred on October 20, 2020, 06:19:04 PM
From your screen shot, it looks like you only have 2 groups with a badge. (yes?)

correct, I could add badges to the other groups just to see what's going on, because no other badge is being displayed

Quote from: Kindred on October 20, 2020, 06:19:04 PM
If some of the Club members are not displaying the VIP badge that you show in your screen shot -- what badge is displaying for them?

nothing

RedPanda2013

I just added a badge to the "Nuovo utente" (post count group with zero posts) and they are now all displaying THAT badge.

Given that I cannot delete that group, how can I fix this?

Arantor

The club members need the club group added as their primary member group.

Kindred

exactly.   by doing this you have demonstrated the issue.

the members of your VIP group are assigned as a secondary group, not as the primary group.
that's the only way the system can be doing what you describe.

In order for the badge to display, you need to assign them to the VIP group as a PRIMARY group.
(or install the "multi-badge" mod)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2020, 06:28:56 AM
exactly.   by doing this you have demonstrated the issue.

the members of your VIP group are assigned as a secondary group, not as the primary group.
that's the only way the system can be doing what you describe.

In order for the badge to display, you need to assign them to the VIP group as a PRIMARY group.
(or install the "multi-badge" mod)

I'd like to "assign them to the VIP group as a PRIMARY group"

Could you please tell me how can I do that?

Thank you

efk

Quote from: RedPanda2013 on October 22, 2020, 07:59:43 AM
I'd like to "assign them to the VIP group as a PRIMARY group"

Could you please tell me how can I do that?

Thank you
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=575327.msg4071775#msg4071775
Note that the easiest way to check if the forum member is in more membegroups is to go directly to check his permissions
Profile/Profile Info/Show Permissions
If you don't check for this and user has more membergroups it is highly possible to remove him from other membergroups. There are 3 ways to promote/demote people, on profile like this, through Admin panel Members/Membergroups.../ and through Moderation panel. I think for Moderation panel it is tricky to use in combination with other 2. Just saying, but you need to go through profile of every user to give him VIP membergroup as primary, others as additional so icon can display as expected.

Kindred

I'm not exactly sure I understand what EFK is trying to say...

but, in order to add them as a primary membergroup, you either need to do it form the user's profile or
go to the membergroups list
?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=index
click on the member group name
e.g. ?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=members;group=9

List of Members to Add:
start typing the members' names and add them to the list then click the "Add Members" button.
Слaва
Украинi

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2020, 11:34:26 AM

but, in order to add them as a primary membergroup, you either need to do it form the user's profile or
go to the membergroups list
?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=index
click on the member group name
e.g. ?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=members;group=9

List of Members to Add:
start typing the members' names and add them to the list then click the "Add Members" button.

??? but it's exactly the thing I wanted to avoid from the beginning...I wrote that I add them back to the group, after I remove them, then the badge will be displayed...I just wanted to avoid to do it 479 times.  :-\

Thank you

shadav

efk

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2020, 11:34:26 AM

QuoteThere are 3 ways to promote/demote people,
on profile like this,
through Admin panel Members/Membergroups.../
and through Moderation panel.
I think for Moderate panel it is tricky to use in combination with other 2

I would need to create 2 more membergroups on my forum to be able to do tests about it. It should be like this, when you promote someone and he is more than 2 membergroups which are not post based, you can promote/demote him in 3 different way.
- Admin panel Members/Membergroups.../ - the thing with this is 1st given is Primary and others are Additional, so you need to remove all then to give 1st again to become Primary to be seen as Primary membergroup and it always works like that.
- Profile Account Settings - here we have power to give directly membergroups and to remove fully affecting Admin panel Members/Membergroups.../ probably exceptions are Administrator and if user who is changing doesn't have access to Protected membergroup. So if we don't talk about these 2 exception, every change done on relation "Profile Account Settings Primary Membergroup: and Additional Membergroups:" and "Admin panel Members/Membergroups.../ " will have full effect on SMF 2.0.x unless something is changed in 2.0.17.
- Moderate/Membergroups/View Membergroups - I already in past mentioned this if you promote someone this way, you have to remove him this way, so why is that? Because you can make different levels of high access for users and grant as Additional membergroups and some of them can have 2+ for example, so once you decide to go and to set different value through "Profile Account Settings Primary Membergroup: and Additional Membergroups:" which should override result with new values, meaning of this it should remove all membergroups from user and to give him new value, but IT WILL NOT remove membergroups given through Moderate panel. So if you have Administrator who played with his account and he set Administrator to be his additional membergroup he will stay administrator after you completely demote him from all positions through  "Profile Account Settings Primary Membergroup: and Additional Membergroups:".
Again last time I tested this about 2-3 years ago on forum with 30-40 membergroups where was some users except post based in 2+ membergroups, so one guy who was demoted through Account Setting on profile had access to read what we do and we figured out long after demotion, and after it happened 2nd time but with full observing what will happen with member who had some membergroups given through Moderate panel, I noticed that he was NOT removed from that membergroups and had to remove him manually from Moderate or Admin panel and not through Profile. This is probably SMF bug, that was result of behavior testing. I can try that test again, need to create 2 more membergroups and can see if its like that.

Kindred

Quote from: RedPanda2013 on October 23, 2020, 10:13:12 AM
??? but it's exactly the thing I wanted to avoid from the beginning...I wrote that I add them back to the group, after I remove them, then the badge will be displayed...I just wanted to avoid to do it 479 times.  :-\

Thank you

that's the thing...  you have them all in as a secondary membergroup and that's your problem. For the badge to display, they need to have that group as the primary group.  Or you install the multi-stars/badge mod.

There literally is no other way to get your VIP badge to display.  The system is performing exactly as it was designed to work.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: