why is there no chatbox for SMF 2.0.17?

Started by fms-er2020, October 22, 2020, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fms-er2020

i need a fully functioning chat box for SMF 2.0.17, can someone help please thank u

shadav

did you not find one that you liked in the mods section?
up at the top of the site under Customize > Modifications

you can search for chat or shoutbox

landyvlad

or install a portal mod like tinyportal as it includes a chat box as well as a host of other useful features.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

efk

From my experience, the best chat program for forum is SMFPacks.com Shoutbox, Chat and it has moderation options and permissions, so everything you need, but limit is 1 Shoutbox for this mod. The best option is to place it on dedicated page or on Home page, so not a good idea to place it on page where you have boards unless your forum is very very small and more private.
Also good option is SimplePortal, this shoutbox is for small forums, or more for private dedicated boards, inside public or private boards for limited number of people. No limit on how many SP shoutbox you can have.
I don't have experience with Tinyportal, but since others are very positive about that mod it should be good option as well.
Today the best option for direct communication/chat is Discord. Once you create a shoutbox make discord server as well, its just the best experience, link it to forum and you have all you need, so expect posts and personal messages you get 1 or 2 more options to chat with people, now depends on your needs.

fms-er2020

Quote from: shadav on October 22, 2020, 10:26:44 PM

yes, cant find anything for my version of smf? the .17?

Quote from: landyvlad on October 22, 2020, 10:49:20 PM
or install a portal mod like tinyportal as it includes a chat box as well as a host of other useful features.

can u tell me more about this,,

Quote from: efk on October 22, 2020, 11:01:32 PM
From my experience, the best chat program for forum is SMFPacks.com Shoutbox, Chat and it has moderation options and permissions, so everything you need, but limit is 1 Shoutbox for this mod. The best option is to place it on dedicated page or on Home page, so not a good idea to place it on page where you have boards unless your forum is very very small and more private.
Also good option is SimplePortal, this shoutbox is for small forums, or more for private dedicated boards, inside public or private boards for limited number of people. No limit on how many SP shoutbox you can have.
I don't have experience with Tinyportal, but since others are very positive about that mod it should be good option as well.
Today the best option for direct communication/chat is Discord. Once you create a shoutbox make discord server as well, its just the best experience, link it to forum and you have all you need, so expect posts and personal messages you get 1 or 2 more options to chat with people, now depends on your needs.

thnk u so muhc,, very useful information.

but SMFPacks.com [nofollow] Shoutbox is not compatible with smf .17 right?

=======

and everyone how do i install a mod, im a noob . it seems very very complicated .  how do we install a mod .  are mods safe?

Arantor

Almost all mods for any version of 2.0.x will work on 2.0.17 even if they don't explicitly say.

Have a read of Package Manager and How can I install a mod that doesn't work in my SMF version?

shadav

Quote from: fms-er2020 on October 23, 2020, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: shadav on October 22, 2020, 10:26:44 PM

yes, cant find anything for my version of smf? the .17?

Quote from: landyvlad on October 22, 2020, 10:49:20 PM

can u tell me more about this,,

Quote from: efk on October 22, 2020, 11:01:32 PM

thnk u so muhc,, very useful information.

but SMFPacks.com Shoutbox is not compatible with smf .17 right?

=======

and everyone how do i install a mod, im a noob . it seems very very complicated .  how do we install a mod .  are mods safe?

anything for 2.0.x should work for 2.0.17, except for some early rc versions (those may work but will need fixing)
so anything that says it works for 2.0.13 or 2.0.15 will work for 2.0.17

as far as installing modifications, just download the package (zip file) and upload it to your forums package directory
then go into your admin under the main tab go to Package manager, click on [ Install mod ]
do not proceed to install if there are any errors or warnings, those must be fixed before installing otherwise every can get messed up
it's always a good idea to do a back up of your site before installing a mod just in case.

otherwise you can manual install a mod, the directions are on the mod's page...just select the version you want instructions for and then press parse
but really using the forums built in package manager is just fine
please note that some things will not install on to custom themes and you will need to make some edits for it to work

If you need help with the mod, each mod has a support page specifically for it, you can find it on the mod's download page...just click on the SUPPORT AND COMMENTS FOR THIS MOD

Tinyportal (as well as other portals) installs blocks onto your forum where you can add content into them...they will display either on the left side or right side of the forum or above or below the forum
I know that tinyportal has already built into a chat/shout box as well as articles and downloads...
it's a bit of a learning curve but worth it if you want to display additional content...
I use it for a custom code I have to display supporters (and allow people to pay through paypal) or for a comic strip that shows images from a specific forum....or obviously to place the shoutbox/chat into....

fms-er2020

u are all so very very helpful!!!!!!!!!! it's very easy. it all went well shadav. thnk u so much. i browsed around and what a community! looking forwward to be active here as well once in a while.

thanks again !!

Advertisement: