News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Video from a device won’t play

Started by burd, October 24, 2020, 08:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burd

I may have posted this before, I couldn't find my post, I have 2 video players installed, but when you upload a video from your device, they won't play, some members say they will,open on a lap top.  My fone and iPad will not open them.   I'm talking a video you shoot on your device and is in your photo library.
It'll have the white arrow with a line through it. 
Who'd a know'd the better

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

So - How are you uploading these? As attachments to a post, or in some gallery, or what?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

burd

Arantor

So is that the attachments or a gallery or something else?

burd

If I take a video on my cell, it's in pics, it posts, but it has a arrow with a line through the arrow.   

Arantor

That's really not what I mean.

What I mean is... pretend I have never seen your site. I have never seen a forum. Tell me how I would upload your video to your site. Talk me through the exact set of buttons you press where and how.

The reason I ask is that "the site pic uploader" could legitimately be any one of about a dozen things. I need to know which one it is in order to help you.

burd

The uploader is just like here, the +
Same way you upload a pic, it loads but it's broken.

burd

You get this when you click on a video

Arantor

OK so I *think* you're using attachments.

Any chance you could link to the topic where this happens?

Arantor

Hrm, that isn't open to guests. Would you mind PMing me a *test account* that can see the topic in question?

Arantor

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this.

OK so the issue is as I suspected: SMF only treats images specially as far as attachments are concerned. When any attachment is served, SMF reports what type of file it is that is being sent. This is important for images because SMF has code that says "if I tell you, the browser, that it is a type of image and it turns out not to be an image, do not try to open it further" because there are security issues attached to this.

But for all other attachments, SMF doesn't even try, it just says "I don't know what type of file this is, do whatever with it."

The issue here is that your browser is correctly refusing to display it because it hasn't been told it is a QuickTime movie format file, so the only option it has is to just save it.

Is this fixable? It won't be fixed in main 2.0, I don't envisage it being fixed in 2.1 because it's a really complex thing to get right and the base case is to just serve the file and let the user deal with it. I can't think of an easy way to fix this in the Download() function that would be reliable and actually work :(

burd

Well, ok.  I just hate to load them through say sites like you tube, when they want money, then they hold all the  id's hostage like phot bucket did.   We kicked the bucket years ago, and didn't want to start something else lol.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Youtube and Vimeo are alright, if and when you don't publish stuff that is somehow copyrighted and protected - I've used both quite a lot.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: