News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Splitting boards / merging boards

Started by landyvlad, October 26, 2020, 03:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

What's the easiest way to go about the following?

Split
I have a board titled 'Tyres and Brakes'
I want to break out the relevant posts into separate boards one for tyres and one for brakes.

Merge
I have a MotoGP board and a Motorsport (other) board and I want to merge the two into a single Motorsport board.

In both cases the permissions etc are the same so there are no concerns on that front.  (open to all members)

Thanks
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

Step 1: go to your profile, to look and layout preferences, switch quick moderation to checkboxes.

Step 2: go to the boards you want to move things around in, tick the topics you want to move, select move topics, and you're done.

efk

Why not to open new topics in different boards, copy/paste relevant content as quote and archive old topic - for Tyres and Brakes. And important before you split topics in case if there are a lot of posts, it is wise to move topic first to a board where you don't have much topics so you won't lose 1 of these topics, depends how you set boards to show last posts.
About merge part, if you have very important stuff from both sides first posts have to be with main info sum from both topics because once you merge them it will be chaos where the posts are.

Arantor

No one is talking about splitting or merging topics, the OP has two boards that he wants to merge into one because they're too niche individually but fine together, and one board that just has a collection of topics that warrants a new sub-board because that's just the trend of conversations.

landyvlad

Indeed, thanks for clarifying Arantor :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

landyvlad

Advertisement: