News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Smilies do not appear, even when enabled

Started by themekings, October 28, 2020, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themekings

Installed fresh copy of SMF (v2.0.17), restored a database and customized the theme. (php v7.4) http://themekings.net/comms/

But no matter what I do, I can not get similes to appear when creating a post.

Any reason why this may be?

Arantor

Your theme is the problem. Whoever designed it doesn't realise that SMF has to manage and control its own header area to load its JavaScript correctly - none of SMF's JS is loaded, so none of the JS functionality works - see the errors in the console for things like missing smc_Toggle.

themekings

Sounds like an easy fix. Makes scense! TY!

shadav

and on a side note, fairly sure 2.0.17 doesn't work with php 7.4, not sure about 7.3 I think 7.2 is the highest that it works with
so you may run into other issues as well and lowering your php down might help if you start getting errors

themekings

Quote from: shadav on October 28, 2020, 04:13:24 PM
and on a side note, fairly sure 2.0.17 doesn't work with php 7.4, not sure about 7.3 I think 7.2 is the highest that it works with
so you may run into other issues as well and lowering your php down might help if you start getting errors

Thanks for the info. So far no issues with php v7.4. Have been able to get the smiles to work after Arantor recommendations. Thanks for all the feedback. ;)

Arantor

There are known issues with 2.0 and 7.4, the only question is how many errors in your log and what they will break. There is no doubt there are compatibility issues.

themekings

Getting a ton of these errors in my logs:

http://themekings.net/comms/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: ***HIDDEN***/comms/Sources/Load.php
Line: 168

and on line 168 of the load.php code reads:

$utf8 = (empty($modSettings['global_character_set']) ? $txt['lang_character_set'] : $modSettings['global_character_set']) === 'UTF-8' && (strpos(strtolower(PHP_OS), 'win') === false || @version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '4.2.3') != -1);

Probably related to me running php 7.4 ya think?

Arantor

It's possible, sure, but indicates something more likely is wrong with $modSettings or $txt being mangled by other changes before that happens.

Basically it's saying that you're trying to hit an array index of a thing that isn't an array; the only arrays there are $modSettings and $txt, but if either is not an array at that point in Load.php something has gone wrong.

Advertisement: