News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Strange error message

Started by pepf, November 11, 2020, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepf

Using 2.0.17

Recently the forum shows a number of the following error messages:

2: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php73)
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2464

The first line is always "Guest", but there is no IP, and the topic accessed is each time different.
There are about twenty such error messages in a row, all issued within a few seconds.

What could be causing this?

TIA, Peter

vbgamer45

Hosting issue. Probably either the file path is not writable  /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php73 or some other host issue.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

pepf

steiger

Hello!
I have exactly the same error messages in the log.

It started suddenly a few weeks ago and happens "randomly".
SMF 2.0.15 (still)

Only Guest, no IP

No changes in software and configuration from my side.
It seems that it is no problem for authenticated users as there are not reports from my users.

As I have no access to the tmp directory I contacted the hosting provider and they told me that there is enough free space and the directory is writeable.

Any ideas where I could look to solve this problem?

Thanks

Dzonny

You should contact your hosting provider, as mentioned earlier. Unless you have permissions to check full path from the error and see if it's writable?

steiger

Quote from: steiger on February 22, 2021, 09:43:17 AM
As I have no access to the tmp directory I contacted the hosting provider and they told me that there is enough free space and the directory is writeable.

Dzonny

Okay, which php version are you running on your server? Any reason for staying with SMF 2.0.15 and not updating it to latest stable version?

steiger

PHP is 7.1 (also not changed)
The GDPR mod is currently installed (it's a Europe based website) and as it is just a sideproject of me I had no time (aka priority) yet to migrate.

If you really think that 2.0.15 one month ago and 2.0.15 now is the reason for the situation will try to update in the near future.

Dzonny

Yeah, looks like this is happening on 7.1 in some cases, and still looks like a permission problem though.
Can you try this:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554135.msg3927956#msg3927956

and report back the output?

steiger

First of all I can change PHP to a later version.

I tried the short script posted by 青山 素子 and it returned
Array ()

Then I downloaded the file posted by count (tmp.php)
and it displays the session path (as seen in the error messages)

test 1 (printing session value)
foo: hello world
PHPSESSID: <id>

test 2 (kill session)
PHPSESSID was "unseted"

Looks fine

steiger

Any more ideas?

The errors do not appear very often but if they do always as block of 7 or 8 entries.

Steve

Quote from: steiger on February 22, 2021, 04:28:24 PMFirst of all I can change PHP to a later version.

By 'later' do you mean newer or older? And updating to 2.0.18 really is recommended.
DO NOT pm me for support!

steiger

Quote from: Steve on March 05, 2021, 02:50:45 PM
Quote from: steiger on February 22, 2021, 04:28:24 PMFirst of all I can change PHP to a later version.

By 'later' do you mean newer or older? And updating to 2.0.18 really is recommended.
With later I meant newer PHP version.
But while trying that I found the many deprecated "errors" and switched back to 7.1

I will try to check the details to switch from the customized GDPR mod to 2.0.18 (GDPR is the only reason why we did not upgrade yet).

LiBen

Quote from: Steve on March 05, 2021, 02:50:45 PM

On the 20th of April 2021 I got 10 identical error reports in 9 seconds time from "guest without IP"
This is the first time ever to see this come along.
File:/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2530

// Use cache setting sessions?
if (empty($modSettings['databaseSession_enable']) && !empty($modSettings['cache_enable']) && php_sapi_name() != 'cli')
{
if (function_exists('mmcache_set_session_handlers'))
mmcache_set_session_handlers();
elseif (function_exists('eaccelerator_set_session_handlers'))
eaccelerator_set_session_handlers();
}

session_start(); //This is line 2530

PHP 7.4
SMF 2.0.18

Quote from: Dzonny on February 22, 2021, 04:19:09 PM
Yeah, looks like this is happening on 7.1 in some cases, and still looks like a permission problem though.
Can you try this:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554135.msg3927956#msg3927956

and report back the output?

No errors with the testfile.

It's quite suspicious if you look at the pages and speed the "guest" visited in just 10 seconds:
site/index.php?https://site/
site/index.php?wwwRedirect
site/index.php?action=register 2x
site/index.php?action=verificationcode;vid=register;rand=6d17fd949f24b95283f84f95285857e4
site/index.php?action=register2
site/index.php?
site/index.php?action=login2
site/index.php?wwwRedirect
site/index.php?

Looks like the speed of a bot, or clicking of a person with caffeine overdose.  ;D

Advertisement: