News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.15 to 2.0.17

Started by mitek, November 17, 2020, 03:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitek

Just wondering if there are many issues upgrading 2.0.15 to 2.0.17 which has quite a few mods from the SMF site. Right now it's running perfectly, and I really hate to upgrade unless there is some major reason for doing so. I would much prefer waiting for the official release of 2.1.

Thanks for a great forum software which in my mind blows the rest, been XenForo and VB out of the water. I love the open-source concept and have tried to support these projects with donations as much as humanly possible. I have been using it since its inception in the same forum for well over 16 maybe 17 or 18 years now I believe. 4000 members love it. We converted to PHPBB for one year and after that went back to SMF. Hated all of the other open-source versions from top to bottom. So you guys do have a customer for life, lets pt it that way.

Thanks for any input or issues I might incur if upgrading from 2.0.15 to 2.0.17 especially with quite a few great mods paid and otherwise.

Mike/Mitek Computers LLC
KCF Private Forum

vbgamer45

There should be no issues upgrading. As long as you do the patch upgrade from package manager in SMF.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

If you're running a lot of mods, package manager may flag errors when you try installing 2.0.16.  You'll have to fix these manually before proceeding with the install.  2.0.17 is much simpler and should install with no errors if you get .16 in correctly.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

And there are major reason to update.
Security and php version support
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mitek

Not really other than I use a dedicated Plesk Server with CentOS and Obsidian and PHP versions keep getting deprecated. It seems 2.0.15 has issues with later PHP versions. I installed a patch that supposedly resolved these PHP update problems, but I am not certain whether it's working as it should or not.

I started our forum in 2006, have 3200 members, and albeit it is very quiet at this time, in all reality, it gives me much more time to work on the forum tweaking things here and there. I am using the Karanik-Lord theme with great success and most members choose to stick with that theme even though they have permission to select from a few. I figured since it was so slow, I would update to 2.017, BUT I think I will just wait until the Gold version of SMF 2.1 drops out.

I have used NUMEROUS PHP-based forum programs in the past including PHPBB, MyBB, etc and the only comparable software I have ever found was VB or XF but shoot why pay a LOT for so much stuff you will probably never use when you have something as perfect as SMF. It is my go-to forum software by far and it's worth the wait. I have a dedicated self-managed server that I have run and leased since 1997 when I started web hosting. I just kept upgrading throughout the years until I have now a fairly cool little business selling webspace and cloud services, enough to pay for the server's monthly/annual cost. It's not a profit thing for me by any means, but the forum we have is a private and free members-only forum and has helped hundreds if not thousands of people in recovery over the past 14 years or so. I hate to take a chance screwing it up if there is really no pressing reason to do so. So far every mod or patch I have loaded or use works great with version 2.0.15, so the large upgrade as opposed to skipping 2.0.16 and going straight to 2.0.17 looked alluring but the move doesn't seem as simple as 2.0.15 to 2.0.17 directly, but only after you install 2.0.16. I had assumed it would be a straight jump from 2.0,.15 to 2.0.17

Thanks so much for everyone's help. It is truly and deeply appreciated.

Most Respectfully

Mike aka eGKL
www.kcforums.com
KCF Private Forum

vbgamer45

Are you running into issues installing the patch file though the package manager? you can also download via https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/ and to your package manager.
This only makes changes to the files as needed. You never want to do the large upgrade for minor software versions.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

mitek

Hi,

I have never tried upgrading the forum AFAIK using that method in particular.

I always have felt/read it was best to backup completely, upload the new files via FTP and go that route using the upgrades themselves. I do not know if this is the preferred way or not, but it has always worked for me with minor issues if any at all. That's why I am basically asking if you actually MUST go from SMF Ver. 2.0.15 to SMF 2.0.16 and then from there to 2.0.17 OR can you simply go with an update/patch/upgrade from 2.0.15 directly to 2.0.17?

I have seen some conflicting posts across this forum as well as a few others, where some people it seemed went with 2.0.15 to 2.0.16 to 2.0.17 and then others say they went straight from 2.0.15 to 2.0.17 or at least they looked conflicting, so it basically has left me scratching my head and asking what would be the preferred method with the least amount of issues.

I have always believed that the large upgrade was the right route to go? Is that NOT the case or is it just an either-or scenario and either way will work pretty much the same without any major issues?

If the patch works as you say, then yes I would consider that too. It seems to be much easier overall but I had just never thought of it as an option on a forum with so many mods etc.

Some mods are paid some are free but all are from this forums download area. It's just now it seems perplexing as hell to be honest about upgrading from 2.0.15 at all and just stay with it until 2.1 is available for production units?

If I knew for sure that 2.1 would work well in a production environment I would use it, but I have seen where it states it's only for the test sites and not production sites. Therefore I have been waiting on at least anything beyond an RC or beta drop for 2.1. I sincerely doubt I would use a 2.1 RC version as I tried that with an older version of SMF back in the day and eventually ended up having to reload the entire site when trying to perform an upgrade. That's why I have been using the UPGRADE packages as opposed to patches.

Thanks again for the replies. They are genuinely appreciated.

eGKL/Mike
KCF Private Forum

vbgamer45

You must do all the minor patches in order. 2.0.16 then 2.0.17. The package manager is the main way to do minor updates.
Installing the patch the package manager is the way to do it. You should never have to upload a new set of files for a minor version change in SMF. Using the large upgrade would cause problems with mods that were installed.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: