News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Is 2.0.17 safe to use?

Started by SolidSnake2003, November 23, 2020, 05:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolidSnake2003

I hope this is the appropriate forum to ask this. I'm getting back into working on my Solid Snake fansite, and want to use SMF for the forums. Is the latest version of 2.0 still safe to use or do I need to update to the RC of 2.1?

Looking

2.0.17 is the safe stable version and 2.1 is usable but I still see people complaining about bugs as it is still relatively new.

SolidSnake2003

Quote from: Looking on November 23, 2020, 05:30:54 AM
2.0.17 is the safe stable version and 2.1 is usable but I still see people complaining about bugs as it is still relatively new.

Thanks for answering my question. I just want to use the best version of the script on my website. I just know that there hasn't been an update on 2.0 for about a year or so.

Looking

Do note that 2.0.17 supports up to PHP 7.2 or 7.3 I think (can't remember) although there are mods that will allow you to used PHP 7.4 with no problems (error messages). I believe 2.1 is made to work with 7.4 out of the box.

SolidSnake2003

The biggest thing I am worried about is how safe 2.0.17 is. I don't know if there are any security holes.

Looking

2.0.17 is safe. The big issues you have to worry about are:
- how safe is your server
- adding mods that aren't safe or have not been updated in awhile
- giving your members / guests too much 'power' to do as they please

vbgamer45

2.0.17 is safe. This forum uses that version. There are no known/reported security holes in 2.0.17
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

SolidSnake2003

Thanks for answering my question, sorry if I asked something stupid. It has been a while since I've worked with SMF or even Wordpress.

Looking

Asking questions is a sign of intelligence not stupidity. Although others may think otherwise. *roll eyes*

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nothing wrong with asking questions.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SolidSnake2003

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

shadav

2.0.x is not end of life ;) so it's still good to go, it is the stable, useable version
and as it's not eol, if (that's a big if after all this time) something were found, they would work on fixing it
unlike 1.x versions which are eol there's no more patch releases as it really should be updated to the 2.x branch to fix all the issues from 1.x

2.1.x is still in beta so not recommended to use other than for testing purposes.....it will still have bugs and need patches and updates as it's still being ironed out.....but shouldn't be anything majorly wrong with it

Advertisement: