Convert on a hosted forum?

Started by PSPXavier, November 21, 2005, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSPXavier

I have a hosted phpBB 2.0.17. I also have a newly created hosted SMF 1.0.5. Is it possible to convert my old one to my new one? Keep in mind they are both hosted on websites like free-forum.com or whatever.

Oldiesmann

That depends on how they store the data. If you have FTP access though, and phpBB and SMF are either installed on the same database or using the same MySQL user account, you can try to convert. The way most free hosts do things though, it might not be possible.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

PSPXavier

Ohh-- that doesn't sound good. Well I have a free-forums.org forum that I want to go to a  smfforfree.com forum

PSPXavier

And I don't have to use smfforfree.com Anyone know if that will work?

Oldiesmann

I'm not sure if smfforfree.com allows you to do that or not. You will have to check their support boards for that. However, you might be better off going with a regular webhosting account for your SMF board, because you won't be able to get your data if you should ever decide to leave smfforfree.com. There's lots of great cheap hosting out there.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

PSPXavier

When you say "regular webhosting account" do you mean one you pay for, so then you own it?

And still, does anyone know if I will be able to import the data from my free-forum.org forum?

Aaron

Quote from: PSPXavier on December 02, 2005, 04:37:24 PM
When you say "regular webhosting account" do you mean one you pay for, so then you own it?

No, a free webhost which supports PHP 4/5 and MySQL 4/5 will suffice too. :)

Quote from: PSPXavier on December 02, 2005, 04:37:24 PM
And still, does anyone know if I will be able to import the data from my free-forum.org forum?

As far as I can tell, judging by their website, it's impossible, sorry.

Aaron.

PSPXavier

anyone willing to prove him wrong? *crosses fingers*

Oldiesmann

Unless there's something in your admin area allowing you to get the data, it doesn't appear that it's possible. While I'm not sure because the entire site is in German, I translated the FAQ and "a.g.b's" pages, and neither one of them said anything about whether or not you could get your data, so I'm assuming you can't.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

PSPXavier

GERMAN? What site? I don't know of any German sites!

Oldiesmann

You must have meant "free-forums.org" and not "free-forum.org" (which is a German site). Stiill, you can't convert because free-forums.org doesn't give you a database backup (their excuse is because it's one common database for all boards, but unless they're storing the data from all the boards in the same tables, there's no reason they can't give you a database dump...)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: