News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Download settings?

Started by SALocalcom, November 30, 2020, 11:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SALocalcom

Is there any "download" settings.  I'd like to keep it from being so easy to download image attachments.

ver.  2.0.17

Thanks.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, there is - they are called permissions. Though, SMF doesn't even show you attachments you can't load - so it's not called that.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Not sure this is what you want, but you can try it -

Admin -> Permissions -> Attachments -> View attachments

Attachments are files that are attached to posted messages. This feature can be enabled and configured in 'Attachments and avatars'. Since attachments are not directly accessed, you can protect them from being downloaded by users that don't have this permission.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SALocalcom

I've got the attached images shown as 375pxl thumbnail,...because they show on smartphones well.  There's an attachment link under the image that when clicked on starts a download of the image.  I'm discussing art with artists and photographers.  I think that might scare them away.

If I do it without the thumbs, are the images responsive?

Kindred

without thumbs, images are not shown at all, they are just displayed as icons.

SMF, by default (and by logic) doe snot display any action which the user can not complete....   so, if the user can not view/download the attachment, it's not displayed at all -- not as a thumbnail, not even as a link/icon.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SALocalcom

Quote from: Kindred on November 30, 2020, 01:54:25 PM
without thumbs, images are not shown at all, they are just displayed as icons.

SMF, by default (and by logic) doe snot display any action which the user can not complete....   so, if the user can not view/download the attachment, it's not displayed at all -- not as a thumbnail, not even as a link/icon.

I don't get it, then nobody would bother with the site.  They couldn't use it.  What am I missing?

This setting...."
Display image attachments as pictures under post", if you uncheck it, you get no images on the post?

Ok yeah, I just tried that....no image at all.  So you only get thumbs that you can click on for the full sized image, or you can download it from the link below the image.  That's what I'm trying to stop, the download link.  Not clicking on the image for the full sized image, that's ok.

SALocalcom

Ok sorry.  I just had to mess with it.  I set them to full size and they are responsive.  That works even for smartphones.  The other more important issue is the download link below each image.  I need that not to download automatically when you click on it, or the link gone all together.  Photographers in particular may find that....uncomfortable.

I realize there are other ways to get images off of websites, but that link makes it too easy.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You should note that showing a full size image is already downloading it, and the actual attachment system is built to handle other filetypes as well - filetypes where downloading is really the only feasible option to serve them.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Quote from: SALocalcom on November 30, 2020, 03:33:02 PM
I don't get it, then nobody would bother with the site.  They couldn't use it.  What am I missing?

not sure what you mean by that...    people use the site to see content.  If you are hiding or restricting content, THEN people will stop using your site.

the option to "download" is actually a BROWSER thing...   when you click on a file, the browser offers to download it.   For images, the browser silently downloads them in order to display them in the first place. The option to download/save the file when you click on the filename is just the browser allowing you to save the file somewhere else on your harddrive other than the cache... bu make no mistake, any image which is displayed on a website was already downloaded by your browser.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SALocalcom

I'm talking about the LINK under the image.  It describes the image.  Click on it and see what happens.

The text next to the paper clip.  Click on that text... it's a download link.

I go on many forums that don't have that under attachments.  That is not a browser function. 

Illori

you see how your avatar is a picture? even without a "download" link i can still download it and do whatever i want with it. the same applies to any picture that is attached on your forum.

SALocalcom

Yes, I know how to access the browser caches in all of  my 12 OSs, three or 4 browsers in each.  In Firefox you just open the media quey.  Believe it or not, lot of regular users don't know that, especially if they're using a smartphone.  But if they see a download link, they'll use it.  Admittedly, I have used SMF some, but certainly not the details.  I know almost nothing about php. I have however, been building my own computers and laptops for 20 years, and I'm doing quite a bit of CSS coding on my newest website.  I know how to get images if I want them.  I set the attachment mod to 800x800 at 75%, which turns 3mb images into 60-70kbs... still don't want the link there.

I am asking, how to get rid of that link.  I thought there might be a setting or a mod that might.  I guess not.

Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

How do you want the attachments displayed?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, been tinkering with this and there does seem to be a way to prevent browser from saving image.  As posted above, removing the link (that's easy) doesn't accomplish anything, and you can always grab an image with a screen cap, but try this -

http://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/test/

Could be incorporated into display template.  I'm sure it's not bulletproof, but it is interesting.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SALocalcom on November 30, 2020, 07:04:31 PM
I'm talking about the LINK under the image.  It describes the image.  Click on it and see what happens.
Like I said, it's designed that way for a reason. Removing the link would break functionality for attachments that don't get a thumbnail.
Something like this could partially solve this for you https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2295
But really the best way to handle this would probably be not to use attachments at all, and instead use a separate gallery to link images from.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SALocalcom

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 01, 2020, 12:13:12 AM
Hmm, been tinkering with this and there does seem to be a way to prevent browser from saving image.  As posted above, removing the link (that's easy) doesn't accomplish anything, and you can always grab an image with a screen cap, but try this -

http://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/test/

Could be incorporated into display template.  I'm sure it's not bulletproof, but it is interesting.

That rabbit is nearly as big as the cat.  Funny.

Here's a post of mine in another forum.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/pits-carbon-fiber-3349538/#post52207440

Weren't earlier versions of SMF like this?  Aah, I think I'm not going to get this one, tho.  No problem.  Eventually I can find the php link, but it'd probably mess up the whole forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's not an attachment. Nor SMF.

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SALocalcom

It's not an attachment?

I put it there.

Yeah, I'm not using that software, and not trying to.........

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, you (or the software) linked it there. It's loaded from a completely different URL, and is not an attachment in the same way SMF does attachments.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SALocalcom

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 01, 2020, 12:43:54 PM
No, you (or the software) linked it there. It's loaded from a completely different URL, and is not an attachment in the same way SMF does attachments.

Yeah, your right, but I uploaded it.  I guess that system uploads it to a "post" gallery and referes to it automatically....like you mentioned in your other post.

Advertisement: