Package uninstall problem

Started by ST Dog, November 30, 2020, 08:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST Dog

years ago I installed the Galery2 integration package on SMF 1.1.x
I need to uninstall it now.

It shows under installed packages, but when I try to uninstall from the package manager
"This package was either never installed or was already uninstalled - you can't uninstall it now."

And the Browse package tabs doesn't show it. The install file is still in the Packages directory.

Any ideas why it's not showing there with the options other installed packages have, like list files and uninstall.

Or any ideas on how to run the uninstaller.

The package includes an uninstall.php, but I don't know where I need to extract the package to in order to use it.

Sir Osis of Liver

1.1 has been eol for some time, no longer supported.  Upgrade to 2.0.17.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

ST Dog

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 30, 2020, 08:39:37 PM

Then why even have a support forum for 1.1 if the only solution to any problem is change forum versions?

The forum has been running smoothly for years. But the people paying don't want to move to higher storage, so want to remove Gallery2.

I figured this would be a simple problem with a know fix.
Like where the package get extracted to so that the install/uninstall script can be run.

I just need to set that up and run the uninstall script.

But I can't even try to install again because the package manager isn't showing the package.

Dzonny

I'm unsure what Gallery2 is?
Is that this mod?
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473

Or some 3rd party software?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ST Dog on December 01, 2020, 01:03:01 AM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 30, 2020, 08:39:37 PM

Then why even have a support forum for 1.1 if the only solution to any problem is change forum versions?
Because we still want to acknowledge the 1.1 users, and at least have a board available for them to approach us with questions and problems that are directly related to their plans to upgrade.
1.1 has however reached it's end of life, and is no longer maintained - so upgrading is highly recommended, and will at some point be basically unavoidable because 1.1 does not support modern day server configurations.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Additionally, since EoL, there have been known security issues reported and patched in 2.0.x which were not patched for 1.1.x (because it is EoL)

As for Gallery2 -- IIRC, it's actually an external gallery product with a bridge
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46281.0
http://gallery.menalto.com/

Not sure what the 1.1.x mod did to bridge it because the only bridge that I can find was for SMF 2.0.x... but if you remove the link (in Subs.php) and turn off/delete the external product -- that would remove the gallery.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ST Dog

Quote from: Kindred on December 01, 2020, 09:59:57 AM
Additionally, since EoL, there have been known security issues reported and patched in 2.0.x which were not patched for 1.1.x (because it is EoL)

There's a lot about SMF 2 that the users don't like. So I'm just trying to keep it running.
Dues to storage limits they decided to remove the gallery, so that's what I'm trying to do.

As for Gallery2 -- IIRC, it's actually an external gallery product with a bridge
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46281.0
http://gallery.menalto.com/

Yes that's the one.

I've got a copy of the mod, as I said it's still in the Packages folder on my server, but I don't understand what all it was doing/changing. See attached.
Seems to tie into lots of places.

Sadly there's little support for the product/mod now.

Thought maybe someone could explain why SMF is showing it installed but not able to uninstall. I don't understand the patching/mod mechanics.

I'll try Subs.php, though I though I tried that earlier and it caused other breakage.

A quick grep of the files in Source get hits for Gallery in several files (Display.php, Load.php, ManageMemberGroups.php, and more). It's also tied in to a bunch of files in Themes.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

These files (inside that package) hold the info on what the install actually does.
I'll just remove your attachment, as I'm not sure if we are allowed to distribute it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: ST Dog on December 15, 2020, 11:17:20 AM
There's a lot about SMF 2 that the users don't like. So I'm just trying to keep it running.

What don't they like about it?  2.0 was a huge improvement over 1.1.

If you're unable to remove the mod cleanly, you can always upload a clean set of files for whichever 1.1 version you're running.  All of the earlier versions are available in Archived Releases.  You'd have to reinstall remaining mods and any customizations you're running.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 15, 2020, 04:04:16 PM
2.0 was a huge improvement over 1.1.
From my own experience, that in itself can be cause for dislike. It's different.
But also from experience, people get over it and learn to like 2.0 as well, if you just don't give them a choice to hang on to 1.1 any more.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Can also run Core theme in 2.0.  Not the best idea but I've worked on several forums that are still using it.  Looks like 1.1 but has all 2.0 features.

- R. Waters

ST Dog

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 15, 2020, 11:20:58 AM
These files (inside that package) hold the info on what the install actually does.
I'll just remove your attachment, as I'm not sure if we are allowed to distribute it.

Not a clue about distribution any more either.

So I tried to follow those but got lost. php isn't a scripting language I know well.

Shouldn't I be able to unpack the archive somewhere and then run the uninstall script somehow?

I just haven't a clue where to unpack it or how to run it correctly (since it's meant to be run from SMF).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, the install and uninstall php-files only include the DB changes. That's a mod package, and the code edits are in the 2 .xml files.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ST Dog

So I think I got all the changes from the XML files.
It appears gone in the forum UI and I have seen a related error in the logs.

Would be nice is there was a command line tool to apply/reverse those changes like patch does.

Now about those database changes...
I believe it added some new stuff in the SMF database for linking the SMF accounts with Gallery accounts.
Not sure how to find/remove those.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It would seem to me that you can probably place the uninstall.php in your forum root and access it through a browser to run it, but before you do - it's always a good idea to make backups of everything, just in case.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: