News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Error When Changing Member's Display Or Username

Started by Steve, December 03, 2020, 05:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I must have suffered some brain damage during my absence because I just can't figure this out.

I'm trying to change a member's display name and I get the attached error.

There are no other members with the desired display name or username. What am I doing wrong?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Hey, Steve.  Search your database for the disputed name, see if it's in there.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Steve

I was afraid you'd say that. Okay, will take a look. Thanks. :)

Steve

Checked the database and didn't find the name so I edited the member in the database to have the display name and login she wanted. That should do it, yes?

Sir Osis of Liver

Editing real_name directly shouldn't cause any problems, everything's linked to member_name.

Think so, anyway.  Do you get the error with other members?

- R. Waters

Steve

Haven't tried to change anyone else's. Am waiting to see if the member can log in and if she can, I'll mark this solved.

Thanks again for the help.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't login with real_name, only member_name or email address.  If you edited the right one, it won't affect login.

- R. Waters

Steve

Hmmm ... she wanted her real name/login/display name to all be the same so I changed real_name and member_name. Is that going to cause a problem?

Kindred

IIRC, the password is hashed using the login name.... so changing that directly in the database would screw up her password hash
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, not really sure.  Now I think about it, believe most things are linked to id_member, don't know if anything's linked directly to member_name.  I'd be leery of changing it.

^ That would just require resetting password, wouldn't it?

- R. Waters

Kindred

Basic rule of thumb --- don't edit things directly in the database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Steve

Yea, I do which is why I didn't want to go that route. At any rate, she was able to log in last night so all seems well. Thanks guys and I've missed this place. ;D

Marking solved.

Advertisement: